Portable tweaker's synth?

tape

• Members

nord1yx3.jpg

Thread over.

I'd worry about the depth of the Nord. There are gazillions of patches out there, so you can spend your life auditioning them, or spend your life creating all kinds of architectures. Of course if you like that sort of thing ... I love mine. :thu:

• Members

I really don't get why the Nord Lead (any version), is appealing when:

It only has basic waveforms, no sampled waves.

No effects engine.

I get that people like red. But having an OSC that can only do variations of sine, tri, pulse, and saw doesn't warm my nether regions. Even the X-Station has some sampled waves, and it has 2 effects engines with 5+ simultaneous effects. Even the Microkorg has DWGS.

Now the Nord Modular G2X, except for the price, I get it. VA modular is a big design leap.

But I'm willing to be convinced why the Nord Lead is better than bananas to hairless, upright primates with opposable thumbs.

• Members

I really don't get why the Nord Lead (any version), is appealing when:

It only has basic waveforms, no sampled waves.

No effects engine.

I get that people like red. But having an OSC that can only do variations of sine, tri, pulse, and saw doesn't warm my nether regions.

Yea! And why the heck are Moog still in the market? And why do they even bother with the P'08? And what is it with all those freaking vintage synths!?

There's something magical about analog synths. Yea, the Lead is no analog, but it's a substitute for all those who want something similar in a lightweight, portable package. At least, that's my interpretation. It's cool with all those sampled waves and all, but it's just not as "back to basics".

At least, the Nord Lead has great resemblance to your typical analog synth. No effects, no aftertouch, knobby interface, analog-like sound. I do admit that I avoid the Lead and would rather have the Wave because of the aftertouch, fx, sampling capabilities etc. But for those with an analog synth in mind, the Lead seems pretty obvious.

• Members

Yea! And why the heck are Moog still in the market? And why do they even bother with the P'08? And what is it with all those freaking vintage synths!?

There's something magical about analog synths. Yea, the Lead is no analog, but it's a substitute for all those who want something similar in a lightweight, portable package. At least, that's my interpretation. It's cool with all those sampled waves and all, but it's just not as "back to basics".

At least, the Nord Lead has great resemblance to your typical analog synth. No effects, no aftertouch, knobby interface, analog-like sound. I do admit that I avoid the Lead and would rather have the Wave because of the aftertouch, fx, sampling capabilities etc. But for those with an analog synth in mind, the Lead seems pretty obvious.

Virtual analog is not, well, an analogy to Vintage Analog. There's nothing in my statement that applies to Vintage Analog - since the Nord Lead isn't one. I think modern VAs are better substitutes for subtractive analog than older VA. The Nord Wave is different too - and I can understand why it appeals to you and others. The X-Station 49/61 has a knobby interface, with aftertouch, with effects, with ROMwaves, with analog-like sounds, in a compact, lightweight, battery powered keyboard. Or the SH-201, or Radias, or SuperNova II, etc.

• Members

it sounds like you want a novation basstation keyboard. they are cheap and meet all of your requirements. i think they can even be powered by batteries. they do a {censored}ty 303 emulation (which is what they were originally marketed as) but they are a nice sounding small cheap analog with knobs

• Members

the novation basstation doesl ook kidn of nice! I wonder where I'd be able to find one anytime soon, though. it is kind of what I need...

I think I'm set on the 2-octave nord modular (classic), now. yes I could get the mopho or some similar rack/desktop synt hwith a controller, but its less hassle if keyboard and synth all comes in a single box.

the nord means I'd spend a lot of time setting patches up, but I'm okay with that. and since I've already tried novation and DSI stuff, I figured I could give nord a try.

thanks all! now to play the ebay waiting game

• Members

I don't get it,

So the OP needs us to give him a list of synths that will fit in his backpack and sound good? Is that what this thread is really about?

portable synths are the number one issue today- most of the old-fashioned hardware types on this forum don't get that- you see endless discussions of huge dinosaur synths with 5+ octaves of full size piano keys as if this were still the standard- crazy

• Members

I don't get it,

So the OP needs us to give him a list of synths that will fit in his backpack and sound good? Is that what this thread is really about?

more or less. being not super knowledgable, I was hoping to find out what the choices were.

• Members

Actually the more I read this thread, for your specific purpose I'd go Nord Modular.

it's soooo so so close between the mek and the modular. in fact I'd probably like the mek more, but its also a bit larger/heavier than the modular. it's also twice as costly.

yeah, I'm really prioritising size, because I'll need to fit pedals and other junk in my backpack

• Members

it's soooo so so close between the mek and the modular. in fact I'd probably like the mek more, but its also a bit larger/heavier than the modular. it's also twice as costly.

yeah, I'm really prioritising size, because I'll need to fit pedals and other junk in my backpack

That's what I figured. The modular really does seem the best candidate......... and an interesting as hell synth.

Oh, and btw, your pedals are really pretty fantastic man. When I scrounge some more dough together I may be knocking on your intarweb door ;)

In the meantime I'm picking up a used MEK this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Archived