Classic 30 clips (stock), with mods to follow ...

snakum

• Members

Here's the new 'facelift' Classic 30 with the stock BM speaker and tubes: two EH12AX7s in V1 and V2, a Sovtek12AX7LPS in the PI, and Sovtek EL84s in the power amp. I tried to remember what I'd played for the Valve King clips with the various speakers so I could go back and compare. To my ears, the stock C30 is a little smoother than I remember. I know the circuitry hasn't changed nor has the Blue Marvel speaker, so I must assume the preamp tubes lend a bit more smoothness over the old Chinese jobbies they always used before.

When I get the Blue Dog or Wizard in it I'll post again, and then once more when the JJ tubes are in, for those who are always asking bout the various tones with certain changes.

And, as always ... excuse the playing. If I was really good at it I wouldn't be stuck at this desk ... I'd be out chasing groupies, counting my money, and getting ready for the next show. :D

Minhommad the Muslim Pig Farmer

Clean Neck Single Coil

Crunch Bridge Humbuckers

Crunch Neck Single Coils

Crunch Bridge Humbuckers with Bad Monkey

• Members

Here are the stock Valve King clips for comparison - for the poster who asked. The Valve King is totally stock and no pedals were used, nor were any animals harmed while recording these passages.

Minh-o-matic

VK112 Clean Humbucker Bridge

VK112 Crunch Humbucker Bridge

VK112 Crunch Single Coil Neck

VK112 Crunch Humbucker Bridge

VK112 HiGain Humbucker Bridge

• Members

My usual C30 settings are Bass and Mids at 12:00 - 1:00, Treble at 9:00 - 10:00, and on the dirty channel the pre-volume never goes above 12:00. I use the Bad Monkey set at 9:00-3:00-3:00-12:00 to goose the dirty channel for more punch and sustain, or to send a neck singlecoil into an SRV-like vibe on the clean channel. This is the same settings I used all last year when gigging. Worked perfectly with SCs or HBs. :)

Minh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I got the Blue Dog put in last night ... damn! Boogs wasn't bull{censored}ting, that thing is sweet in the Classic 30. Tight bottom, smooth mids, and a glassy but sweet top end. Very punchy and 'Voxy'. I will never put a Greenback in a Classic 30 again.

I'll post some clips with it this weekend.

Thanks Duck! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by snakum

... a glassy but sweet top end.

*perfect* description :D

That thing is fookin sweet - thanks again for letting me check it out. I am tempted to get one, except I've discovered my C-Rex/Tick combo loves Ei EL84s, and sounds so good I might.....stay.......put.........?

Well, for now. :D

peace,
David

• Members
Originally posted by snakum

I got the Blue Dog put in last night ... damn! Boogs wasn't bull{censored}ting, that thing is sweet in the Classic 30. Tight bottom, smooth mids, and a glassy but sweet top end. Very punchy and 'Voxy'. I will never put a Greenback in a Classic 30 again.

I'll post some clips with it this weekend.

Thanks Duck!
:thu:

Cool, glad you like it. :wave:

Maybe I should get another to swap back and forth between it and the Wizard when I'm bored. :D

• Members

I don't have the JJs in yet, and am using the stock EH pre and Sovtek power tubes - though the Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the PI slot went bad last night, so there's a GT in there now. But this thing is really sweet with a single coil, and I've been able to dial in something VERY close to the clips of hi-end EL84 amps with the Blue in it, which is what I've been shooting for this time. I'm still thinking about EI pre and power tubes this time to add to the Vox vibe. The C30 is so sensitive to tubes I think it might actually help.

I talked to a guy in Cali last year who installed a Presence control and "removed the feedback loop" on a C30 with EIs and a Blue, and he says it would hang right beside an old AC30TB. That'd be kinda cool. :cool:

Thanks again, guys, for getting me off my Greenback jones. :D

• Members

Some very fine tones and playing, indeed. But curse you. Just after your VK clips helped convince me to go after the Valve King 112 (which is sitting under the Christmas tree, taunting me) you come along and rekindle my love for the C30. I went and played one at a pawn shop last night... it's in good shape (a couple of minor 'tweed' tolex tears, but clean grille cloth, functions well but probably in need of a retube). It's marked down from $375 to $300. The guy there confided in me that the store (that location, anyway) is closing down soon, and if I wait around another few weeks, it might hit the $225 range. Must... resist... :wave:

• Members

LOL! :D

When I get rich I'm going to see if Jerry P. can add another gain stage to the Classic 30. I heard a Fender "Custom Shop Deville" last weekend that blew me away. It wasn't the harsh Hot Rod Deville gain, rather it was a warm, sweet, cranked Bassman/Old Marshall tone that sang like a Fuchs once it started cranking (though it was getting pretty loud). I was told all Fender did was "add a gain stage and change the tone stacks".

I don't know what that gibberish means, but if it could be done on a Classic 30, it'd be worth a few hundred dollars, to me. Can you imagine a cranked Bassman with Fuchs-style 'sing' and response coming out of a Classic 30? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived