Let's talk about a good amp for a change. Have you heard the Elmwood Modena 60?

michael.e

• Members

Hey!

So I may be getting one of these. Does anybody have any experience with the M-60? More than "aww dood, it can chug for days" type of responses. Are there any of you out there that can actually post thoughtful, learned thoughts based on real experience and ability? Thanks, M.E.

• Members

Yup, I've got one - great amp! It's got one of the best lead tones I've ever heard. Thick and rich and fairly dark like a Bogner, yet still pretty tight. The controls are highly interactive and have a huge range so it takes some tweaking, but once you find the sweet spot it really pays off.

Tons of gain, plenty of low end, thick chewy low mids - I love that amp. The only downsides are that the clean channel is not that great, and that it doesn't quite get the upper mid punchy attack of a Marshall. It's kind of in between an XTC and an Uber but a little tighter then both.

I can't say for sure you'll love it, but if a thick singing lead tone is your thing it's definitely worth checking out. Resale is a little tough only because they're not very well known yet.

• Members

Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

Yup, I've got one - great amp! It's got one of the best lead tones I've ever heard. Thick and rich and fairly dark like a Bogner, yet still pretty tight. The controls are highly interactive and have a huge range so it takes some tweaking, but once you find the sweet spot it really pays off.

Tons of gain, plenty of low end, thick chewy low mids - I love that amp. The only downsides are that the clean channel is not that great, and that it doesn't quite get the upper mid punchy attack of a Marshall. It's kind of in between an XTC and an Uber but a little tighter then both.

I can't say for sure you'll love it, but if a thick singing lead tone is your thing it's definitely worth checking out. Resale is a little tough only because they're not very well known yet.

Well said!! Clean channel lacks but the lead tones are quite nice!!

• Members

Originally posted by Snider

Well said!! Clean channel lacks but the lead tones are quite nice!!

Steve, I just picked up a COT50 on your advice and tried it in front of the Modena and the Uber. It definitely gave the Uber a bit more Marshally crunch, but didn't do as much for the Modena which already gets that tone pretty well. I liked the way it pushed the signal, but it also kind of compressed things a little and robbed some low end. I can tell it's really a great pedal, but I'm still not sure I'm a pedal guy. I'll have to spend some more time with it.

• Members

Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

Steve, I just picked up a COT50 on your advice and tried it in front of the Modena and the Uber. It definitely gave the Uber a bit more Marshally crunch, but didn't do as much for the Modena which already gets that tone pretty well. I liked the way it pushed the signal, but it also kind of compressed things a little and robbed some low end. I can tell it's really a great pedal, but I'm still not sure I'm a pedal guy. I'll have to spend some more time with it.

The COT 50 is good for boosting highs but keep it at 9:00 or so to avoid extra compression. That said , I dislike pedals. I am selling all of mine that have anything to do with overdrive/distortion except my Zendrive and Maxon SD9 because my amps kill without any added frills. I have a huge pedal board and never use any of them unless I am playing a two amp rig and need both to do kinda the same thing in unison. I have recently decided that my two amp, three cab rig is by far the best thing I have ever had and although I still love a bunch of single amps for what they do, NOTHING can do what my Two amp rig is doing. The best clean and best lead tones I have ever had.

• Members
Originally posted by Snider

The COT 50 is good for boosting highs but keep it at 9:00 or so to avoid extra compression. That said , I dislike pedals. I am selling all of mine that have anything to do with overdrive/distortion except my Zendrive and Maxon SD9 because my amps kill without any added frills. I have a huge pedal board and never use any of them unless I am playing a two amp rig and need both to do kinda the same thing in unison. I have recently decided that my two amp, three cab rig is by far the best thing I have ever had and although I still love a bunch of single amps for what they do, NOTHING can do what my Two amp rig is doing. The best clean and best lead tones I have ever had.

Is that the Tripaz and OD-100?

I keep waiting for that Tripaz to show up on the emporium! :D

• Members

Thanks very much for the replies!
I am a bit bummed to hear that the clean channel is a bit lacking. Is it good for anything? Push it a little bit and use it to back off on the vol. controls a bit for roaming in between? Perhaps a bit of a push with my COT 50?
I use mine with the knob all the way down.
Thanks again!
M.E.

Archived