I really want a Gibson M-III

potaetoes

• Members

:p:D

Sorry, I'm probably going to the grave with all of mine, all I can really tell you is this...

Start hunting on ebay and say your prayers! Once the word somewhat got out about them some years ago they became even more harder to find in the wild.

None of them came with Kahlers, all were equipped with Schaller Floyd Roses.

There is an Epiphone version of the guitar to be looking for as well if your interested, with a bit cheaper hardware and construction techniques, the EM-1/EM-2 Rebel. The EM-1 came with a Fender style non-locking bridge, the EM-2 came with a liscenced floyd and they both have bolt-on necks. There is also a Les Paul variant, the rarest of them all, the Les Paul Studio M-III. They ALL have the patented M-III circuitry though and you will not find any other guitar with that electronics setup either.

Hope this helps dewd, above all, good luck in your hunt... you gonna need it. :o:thu:

• Members

I've seen more LP Studio M-III than actual M-IIIs. They're actually Studio Lites with M-III electronics, and if i could find one of those i would just have a Kahler put on it. I have a Studio Lite now and it's a killer guitar.

I found a black/maple M-III locally for $650, but I haven't checked it out in person yet. I think I'll grab it if it's nice. Is that a decent price?

The other guitar I'm looking for that's even more rare than any of the ones mentioned here is the Epi-Pro. it's basically an Epiphone superstrat, with a carved top, kahler bridge, lawrence pickups, and made in USA. My friend had one years ago and it's one of the nicest playing guitars I've ever laid hands on. Those are damn hard to find...

• Members

Surprising you see more LP Studio M-III's Potatoes, I have only seen about maybe 1 or 2 on Ebay during my search over the years. Hmmmm, good luck getting that Kahler on one, you gonna need either a good guitar tech with a good router or good routing skills yourself to get that puppy on there. :eek:

$650 is barely decent I guess IF and ONLY IF it comes with the original hardshell case and it's in near pristine condition. I got all of mine around 450 to 550 bucks off Ebay, with an original case, save one of them I have.

Haha, it's funny you mention the Epi-Pro Potatoes, I used to own one of those too! Indeed a great, equally very rare guitar, nothing like your typical Epiphone and I have never seen another one like it either. It reminds me alot of my M-III's nowadays, it had a coil tap for the bridge humbucker on it. It had some great covered pickups to boot too, didn't know they were Bill Lawrence pickups, that explains alot. I wish I could have kept it and my Jackson DR-5 back then, but I was GASing in a bad way for the M-III too and needed the cash heheheh! :D:cool:

• Members

I had a 1991 Gibson MIII just a couple years ago...bought it for $410 at GC and sold it for $485...sounds like the market is much better for these guitars now.

I really, really liked that guitar...it smoked....but I just didn't have time to deal with the Floyd Rose system. So I ditched it and paid off some credit cards.

Like I said, the one I had played like a champ when it was setup properly...but when a string broke, it was all over.

You do see these on Ebay from time to time, but it's been awhile since I've seen one. There's also other varieties of this guitar...the MIII deluxe I think is made from a different kind of wood..walnut or koa maybe? Those go for considerably more money...I think I saw one that went for $1300 or so on Ebay some time ago.

Good luck in your hunt, that's a great guitar if you have the know-how to deal with a Floyd-type tremolo system.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I Have One In Great Cond.

It's a Les Paul Though.

Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite MIII.

Its a 1993 Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Gold Hardware, 2 Hums With a Single In The Middle,

All Orig.

Thanks

Steve

Here's Specs.....

STUDIO LITE WITH M-III ELECTRONICS:

Pickups:

Rhythm 496-R ceramic magnet humbucker

Middle nsx single coil

Treble: 500T ceramic magnet humbucker

Controls:

Two volume

Two Tone

5-way switch

Two position mini Toggle

Hardware:

Black chrome or gold

Scale/Nut width:

24 3/4"/1.6875

Fingerboard/Inlay:

Ebony

22 Frets/Trapezoid

Neck Shape:

1960 Slim Taper

Binding: body/neck

Bridge Tailpiece:

Tune-o-matic/Stop Bar

Materials:

Maple Top

Mahogany Insert

Mahogany Neck

Finishes:

Black Hardware Only: Translucent Blue, black and Red

Gold hardware Only: Heritage Cherry Sunburst or Vintage

• Members

theres one at my pawn shop. its got maple fretboard, black with the leapard pickguard, leapard inlays, has a black schaller floyd rose. very good condition, has lacquer cracks. what are you lookign to pay for one?

oh what the {censored}, 5 year old thread.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived