Increasing filter frequency range (or simulating it :)

Logicat

• Members

I have the feeling that many synth lovers judge instruments by the frequency range of the filter, expecially when talking about analog-filter equipped gears. 2 gears that fall into the category of underestimated (???) synths are the P08 and the Andromeda 6. People listen to their filter sweeps and come to the conclusion that most VAs can equate the result. Sadly, i'm starting to agree with this (hated) group of synth critics :rolleyes:

Yesterday i had an hour of tweaking time with my Andy. My goal was to make it sounding like (or similar to) those damn demos of the SE1X on Novamusik.

Although this synth has an impressive amount of modulation options (and the interface isn't so bad as many say, to me, with the exception of that uncomfortable step sequencer), i missed the result. It can sound amazing, but i was not able to match that filter sweep and character :rolleyes:

(filter character of SE1X from Novamusik : http://www.novamusik.com/sounds/redeye/starting_a_fire.mp3 :rolleyes:)

But there MUST be tricks to improve this !! So, i'm asking you what you do when you want to make your synth sounding as if it had a wider filter sweep, expecially about high frequencies. What do you use, EQ ? Stack more (unfiltered) oscillators, to feed the main sound with more frequencies ?

The main source for a phat filter sweep is, of course, the waveform of the oscillator. So, which is the best way to increase the amount of frequency in the raw sound ? Syncing the OSCs, modulating them in some way, what ?

Help me in stopping my GAS for SE, tell me that the result can be obtained with a pair of synth-masters tricks...:rolleyes:

• Members

syncing the oscs and putting a little envelope->pitch mod on the slave will add harmonic content, also if you are sweeping the pitch from the same envelope as you're modding the filter from, it might add some more ooomph to the tonal change.

not familiar with the andy's spec, but adding another osc to the mix an octave higher might help too. also make sure there's nothing after the filter that's likely to be ameliorating the mid-highs, like soundxplorer says, that's where most of the character of the sweep is.

Archived