RIch Mod PPIMV on a plexi - for hard rock/metal only?

ratter

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

Or does it still let you get the more classic page/hendrix/cream/etc tones at more reasonable volumes?

In other words, does it kill the "vintageness" of the tone?

I don't think it does... I use in conjunction with a Hotplate and it sounds killer to me.

• Members

Originally posted by yngzaklynch

Dude why not go down to Swissvale music and check out the SD45?

I actually talked to a guy at Budda and he said they don't have one! He made it sound like they are still deciding whether or not to be a dealer. And...I've decided to stick with the Germino for now. I'm going to go get that 4x12 tomorrow.

Although, there was a SD45 on the gear page for $1300 :eek: . If too many more of those deals come up, I will own one before the snow melts in the spring!

Vlad - any chance you'd be able to do a lower-gain classic rock kind of clip with the master down a bit? I'm wondering if the mv is worth the trouble, or if just running the amp cleaner, with the hotplate, and an OCD would do just as well...

• Members

I actually talked to a guy at Budda and he said they don't have one! He made it sound like they are still deciding whether or not to be a dealer. And...I've decided to stick with the Germino for now. I'm going to go get that 4x12 tomorrow.

Although, there was a SD45 on the gear page for $1300
:eek:
. If too many more of those deals come up, I will own one before the snow melts in the spring!

Vlad - any chance you'd be able to do a lower-gain classic rock kind of clip with the master down a bit? I'm wondering if the mv is worth the trouble, or if just running the amp cleaner, with the hotplate, and an OCD would do just as well...

I sure can... But I usually use the Hotplate. I don't know about the Germino + HP + OCD, but with my SL, running the amp clean and using the SD-1 as the OD, it didn't quite sound like it should. It didn't sound bad, but it didn't have that Plexi-type vibe.

I'll go record a quick clip of the SL with Rich Mod up about 1/2 way and the HP at -16 db :D

Basically bedroom volume. :D

No boost and Vol I around 5-6.

• Members

Originally posted by psychodave

what is PGH.

I was gonna say if you live close enough, you could always check out a Marshall loaded with a PPMV.

Pittsburgh....Yardley is way out east, yeah? If so, I'm way the hell away from there. :D

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

I sure can... But I usually use the Hotplate. I don't know about the Germino + HP + OCD, but with my SL, running the amp clean and using the SD-1 as the OD, it didn't quite sound like it should. It didn't sound bad, but it didn't have that Plexi-type vibe.

I'll go record a quick clip of the SL with Rich Mod up about 1/2 way and the HP at -16 db
:D

Basically bedroom volume.
No boost and Vol I around 5-6.

That'd be cool! I think that plexi-type vibe that you're talking about is what I mean. I want to know if it's possible to keep the vibe and not get into a heavier type of sound.

• Members

That'd be cool! I think that plexi-type vibe that you're talking about is what I mean. I want to know if it's possible to keep the vibe and not get into a heavier type of sound.

Ok man... here you go... 2 clips for comparison...

This first one I did with the MV at 3:00, SD-1 as a clean boost, Vol I at 10, Vol II at 4 (channels jumped). This was pretty loud!.. :D

Hotplate at -16db, deep and bright off

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3196135&q=hi

This one is straight to the amp. MV at noon. Everything else is the same, except Vol I is at 6.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3196132&q=hi

The cab has 2 reissue Greenies and 2 Private Jacks (on their way out :D). Guitar is mahogany 24 3/4" super strat with a JB in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck.

SM57 -> Presonus Blue Tube to PC (running Cubase SX). Reverb and delay added in Cubase.

• Members

This first one I did with the MV at 3:00, SD-1 as a clean boost, Vol I at 10, Vol II at 4 (channels jumped). This was pretty loud!..

This one is straight to the amp. MV at noon. Everything else is the same, except Vol I is at 6.

The cab has 2 reissue Greenies and 2 Private Jacks (on their way out
). Guitar is mahogany 24 3/4" super strat with a JB in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck.

SM57 -> Presonus Blue Tube to PC (running Cubase SX). Reverb and delay added in Cubase.

You have a cool vibrato.

For a white man. :D Great tone.

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

Aaah busted. Actually Im on my way out. Going to the older brothers house to see if I can get into any trouble.
:cool:

Excellent!!

Have fun! I'll just sit in my dark basement... staring at the computer screen...:freak:

• Members

This first one I did with the MV at 3:00, SD-1 as a clean boost, Vol I at 10, Vol II at 4 (channels jumped). This was pretty loud!..

The cab has 2 reissue Greenies and 2 Private Jacks (on their way out
). Guitar is mahogany 24 3/4" super strat with a JB in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck.

Awesome thanks man. I need to go check them out on something other than these laptop speakers....

• Members

Awesome thanks man. I need to go check them out on something other than these laptop speakers....

Cool! Ignore the slight 'pumping' on that first clip... It's my L1 plugin limiting the really hot input. :D

• Members

Originally posted by yngzaklynch

Mike I'm not sure whats going on yet but if you're not booked up Monday and I don't have to much cooking I'd like to get together. Let me know.

I think Monday will work....the only day this week that would definitely not work is Tuesday. Keep me posted, we'll figure something out.

• Members

Or does it still let you get the more classic page/hendrix/cream/etc tones at more reasonable volumes?

In other words, does it kill the "vintageness" of the tone?

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't do it!

If that Germino is getting too loud for you, sell it to me! :D

I had an Aiken Intruder and a Matchless DC30 with PPIMV's and they sounded nice n vintage. BUT, I think I prefer the sound of Pre PI MV's........the PPIMV's just sounded more "thin" to me.

• Members

Originally posted by riffmeister

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't do it!

If that Germino is getting too loud for you, sell it to me!

I had an Aiken Intruder and a Matchless DC30 with PPIMV's and they sounded nice n vintage. BUT, I think I prefer the sound of Pre PI MV's........the PPIMV's just sounded more "thin" to me.

Really?? I'm not in any hurry to do it, but I just wanted to learn about the options.

I was thinking about another possibility: run through the 4x12 when volume isn't a problem. I can keep a 1x12 in a nearby closet with a mic and monitor it back in my romper room when volume is a problem. Maybe build a crude iso box inside the closet. The only thing I'm missing for that scenario is the speaker to put in the 1x12 cab. Then I could leave the amp unmolested....

Vlad, I thought those clips sounded real good. Thanks for doing that. The PPIMV obviously definitely doesn't "ruin" the tone...

• Members

Really?? I'm not in any hurry to do it, but I just wanted to learn about the options.

I was thinking about another possibility: run through the 4x12 when volume isn't a problem. I can keep a 1x12 in a nearby closet with a mic and monitor it back in my romper room when volume is a problem. Maybe build a crude iso box inside the closet. The only thing I'm missing for that scenario is the speaker to put in the 1x12 cab. Then I could leave the amp unmolested....

Vlad, I thought those clips sounded real good. Thanks for doing that. The PPIMV obviously definitely doesn't "ruin" the tone...

Thanks man... Yeah... it doesn't really ruin anything. Works very well.

Archived