5 synths... four inputs for amp... am I back to using a mixer?

• Members

So in March I retired my submixer setup when I scored a Traynor K4 amp. Previously I had a Rolls 10 ch stereo line mixer which I ran 3-4 synths (depending on the gig) through to a stereo DI and then on to the FOH mixer. The Traynor has four TS/TRS stereo inputs through three independent channels. It's worked great until this past weekend, when I decided to take my V-Synth XT to use as a vocoder along with the other 4 synths in my live setup. I ended up using a TS to XLR cable and using the XLR input of Channel 2 on the K4. It got e through the show, but it's not the way I want to go going forward. Am I back to taking out the Line mixer, running that through the amp to monitor myself and send the mix to the FOH... or is there another (smaller) cheaper option of shoving 5 stereo sound sources into 4 waiting stereo inputs?

• Members

I don't think there is any way to do 5 into 4 without doubling up a channel like you did, or submixing.

How about one of those little 4x1 mini mixers? Something you can toss into a gig bag, or even velcro to the Trayor and leave it in place.

• Members

I don't think there is any way to do 5 into 4 without doubling up a channel like you did, or submixing.

How about one of those little 4x1 mini mixers? Something you can toss into a gig bag, or even velcro to the Trayor and leave it in place.

I think that might be the way to go. I only use the vocoder on one maybe two songs. And the other synth I would mix in that input channel I also only use on a few songs. The only thing I worry about is extra 'hum' or noise. In my last setup I had problems with some noise. Since I've eliminated the seperate mixer/speaker setup and gone straight into the amp my mix has been noise free. I hate to pull my Rolls mixer back out of the studio. It's setup with the rest of my remaining gear... and I'll never end up hooking everything back in between gigs.

Archived