Nord Wave. Good Purchase?

O.J. 10

• Members

I'm thinking about buying a nord wave. I love the colour, the fact that it can sample, and that it has dedicated knobs. Anyone own one? Willing to share some Pros and Cons?

P.S. I already know that it doesn't have an arrpegiator. Which sucks, but I can manage.

• Members

it's my main synth atm and I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

If you hear it by itself it may sound thin but in the context of a mix it sits really nicely.

check these clips. They were done to show the wave to a friend.

http://pixmusic.net/audio/wave%20away.mp3

(jomox 999, pro-one, nord wave)

http://pixmusic.net/audio/wavejmxdemo.m4a

this last one is just a sketch for some patterns I have. same gear, jomox for beats, pro-one in the bass and nord wave for the pads/fx.

• Members

Just a point of clarification: The Wave can load and play back samples, but it can't "sample" in the sense of recording a new one. You have to create them somewhere else, then import them. (That's actually a great way to work IMO.)

D7

• Members

it's my main synth atm and I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

If you hear it by itself it may sound thin but in the context of a mix it sits really nicely.

check these clips. They were done to show the wave to a friend.

this last one is just a sketch for some patterns I have. same gear, jomox for beats, pro-one in the bass and nord wave for the pads/fx.

Wow. Love the first demo. Sounds very Zero 7ish, whom I really like but always disdained for not paying Air enough credit. Very pretty stuff there. I even sent you a myspace friend request! Thanks.

• Members

Well, I only mentioned the colour because I've seen people complain about it in other threads, Mike T. And yeah, that's what I meant about sample playback. Not actually a "sampler" per se. But, I'm seriously contemplating getting one. I posted a while back that I was looking for a good "knobby" synth and after coming upon this one I was surprised that no one suggested it in the other thread. I've been reading up a lot about it (even so far as to download the manual, which I've read through a couple times, aha).

• Members

Wow. Love the first demo. Sounds very Zero 7ish, whom I really like but always disdained for not paying Air enough credit. Very pretty stuff there. I even sent you a myspace friend request! Thanks.

hey! thanks a lot. glad you liked it. That sound came out really good. It really shows the detail that the nord has in the high frequencies. it really opens the mix in that regard.

• Members

Get it....Just spent all morning noodling around with some of the new presets that Clavia made available. It's my favorite synth....maybe ever. Great, musical sound, immediate, hands on interface, small and portable. Love it!

• Members

The cons are this:

Essentially monotimbral since most patches use both slots.

No MIDI sync'd LFOs

that's about it. If those don't bother you it is a wonderful, intuitive synth.

also:

no LFO reset with key on

no midi sync delay

no pan (it'd open a lot of possibilities with layering)

no way to tweak both slots at the same time (the prophet 08 does this really well)

a non resonant LPF on shape1 when using the spectral waveforms would be cool to blend them with the samples.

These things above really piss me off sometimes, specially the way in which the programming of the 2 slots is done. But it's still an early OS version and clavia is known for improving things with time. let's see.

Archived