Anyone use APC voltage regulators?

NickD101

• Members

Hi

(and this is my first new thread so please no flaming if I'm asking something stupid! I've searched the forums and not found the answer I'm looking for...)

I've been having some problems with poor quality mains power at gigs, particularly from generators. This has led to my Viscount DB3 organ failing to work (i kept restarting).

Reading the (many) posts across these forums, the consensus seems to be that cheap power conditioners don't do a lot except some surge suppression. A voltage regulator of some sort seems to be what I need.

I found Tripp Lite and APC products, and this one looks like it could do the trick (this is a UK version, but there are US voltage models): http://www.pcwb.co.uk/catalogue/item/APCUPS45

Can I ask: does anyone have any experience in using these? Any thoughts as to whether this is a good model that might help stabilise the voltage to my keyboards on gigs?

Thanks

Nick

• Members

Well Nick, you're smart to check into a product like this if you are doing outside gigs or working in clubs that have poor voltage, or even dirty AC power. How large of a unit you need is going to depend on how many amperes you are drawing. So I don't know if anyone can answer that question for you. The trick of it with a voltage regulator is it will take whatever is coming in and maintain the power draw you need in amps. So you need to add up all the devices you use to gig with and add extra so you regulator doesn't have to work hard. Doubling your actual draw would probably be a good idea. In the very least, you need a LCD display or meter that tells you what you DO have coming in and when it drops below 230 volts (Europe of course) you can shut down. The regulator would solve that problem, but you would be the one paying for it, not the club owner.

Mike T.

• Members

Check out CyberPower. Same if not better tech in them, and a lot better price. I use CyberPower exclusively in my studio and around my house. Never had a problem.

Unlike APC, which fried a motherboard on a newly built PC. $50,000 protection coverage.....My ass. Thankfully Newegg and Abit solved it for me without any hassle.

Also, when dealing with generators, you might be in some serious sh** with a UPS, since the modified sine AC may cause problems with the trickle charging of the UPS battery, causing it to overcharge / overheat, thus potentially wrecking your gear and/or causing an explosion or fire. Better to go with Furman AR-1215 or something along those lines which are more designed for your purposes.

• Members

Thanks both for your helpful responses - I'll check out Cyberpower and the Furman product you mentioned.

The APC product I mentioned isn't actually a UPS, it's a voltage regulator, but I can check with APC if there's issues with using it with a generator.

Thanks

Nick

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Voltage regulators are completely different from power conditioners.

I use both in my studio and they make a world of difference in both performance and sound.

Furman makes a great voltage regulator, I have the Monster Power and despite it looking really cool, its not as well made as the Furman.

They ARE expensive, but well worth it (which I guess by definition means its NOT expensive) Mine weighs 70 lbs , so be mindful of what you will be mounting it in for transport.

Archived