anyone like old traynors?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I keep hearing comparisons to marshalls when I read up on these old amps... I'm really close to sealing a deal on a yba-1 and I was wondering if anyone knows of any sound clips what so ever... bass or guitar... either one... anybody swear by 'em? I am really stoked about these...

• Members

i love old Traynors!

the reason for all the comparisons between the YBA-1 and Marshall Plexis is because Peter Traynor decided to one-up Jim Marshall and just ripped off the Plexi circuit...what goes around comes around huh? Marshall ripped off Fender, Fender ripped off RCA...etc

some would say Peter Traynor improved on the Plexi's stability with some circuit tweaks. the YBA-1A went even further and claimed 90 watts output with the same two EL34s. to top it all off, the build quality of these old amps is rather akin to a tank because PT was reputed to toss them out second or third floor Toronto apartment building windows, collect the amps replace tubes and power them up to see if they survived...which they would have to in order to be "good enough". They used big, bricklike 70's era Hammond transformers. while it's been a long long time since i've really played a Plexi, i'm going to go right ahead and say the YBA-1, or any old-school Traynor really, rocks ass! my YGM-3 has a sort of 40% Vox, 40% Marshall and 20% Fender character. i guarantee the YBA-1 will sound awesome if you're looking for a big bad old school rock & roll sound. and they sound great with a bass!

mind you i use a tubescreamer(the Ross in my sig is very similar sounding and uses an RC4558 i believe) and/or my EQ pedal as a boost because the YGM-3 is sort of a low gain dealio on its own. still, if you park a TS-7 in front of the YBA-1 you could be rocking out hardcore.

• Members

oh man, thats awesome... I have never actually messed with a real 4 input amp, so I know nothing about jumpering or anything, it's gonna be interesting... but your reply is makin me go crazy... I bit on the traynor and it's gonna ship tuesday

I forgot what site it was, but there was some guy online modding them (actually it seems like a whole hell of a lot of people are modding them...) and he had some clips that kind of scared me... seemed like there was some serious fuzz in the top frequencies... It sounded raunchy, sure, but it was almost like he was boosting the upper frequencies with a cranked big muff or something, would you say the yba-1 you've tried had this characteristic or is this just an awful mod with bad recording technique?

• Members
Originally posted by scotron

i don't have a lot to compare it to ... but i'm loving my YGL Mark III

wait...did you pick it up at Songbird last summer? and does it have French writing on the controls? :eek:

i almost bought a '78 Quebec-spec'd YGL-3 with French controls and even a French schematic glued to the inside of the cabinet there last summer but i didn't have the money. before that, they had a slightly different looking, earlier 70's YGL-3 with english controls....but that sold before i got there.

• Members
Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

oh man, thats awesome... I have never actually messed with a real 4 input amp, so I know nothing about jumpering or anything, it's gonna be interesting... but your reply is makin me go crazy... I bit on the traynor and it's gonna ship tuesday

I forgot what site it was, but there was some guy online modding them (actually it seems like a whole hell of a lot of people are modding them...) and he had some clips that kind of scared me... seemed like there was some serious fuzz in the top frequencies... It sounded raunchy, sure, but it was almost like he was boosting the upper frequencies with a cranked big muff or something, would you say the yba-1 you've tried had this characteristic or is this just an awful mod with bad recording technique?

heh, good luck dude.

i don't believe there was any excess fuzziness in the highs...basically, with an Explorer cranked up through a Traynor 4x12 factory loaded with Altecs(try finding one of those!) it had a loud crunchy tone that made me want to play "Won't Get Fooled Again"...i'm not saying it sounded like Pete Townshend on that recording but it does have a certain midrange punch i like to call "the Toronto sound" :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by bikehorn

heh, good luck dude.

i don't believe there was any excess fuzziness in the highs...basically, with an Explorer cranked up through a Traynor 4x12 factory loaded with Altecs(try finding one of
those!
) it had a loud crunchy tone that made me want to play "Won't Get Fooled Again"...i'm not saying it sounded like Pete Townshend on that recording but it does have a certain midrange punch i like to call "the Toronto sound"
:cool:

I'm so glad you said that... I am thinking it's either a {censored}ty mod (which happened to cost more than 3 times what this amp is costing me, go fig) or an awful recording setup, but more than likely it's a mix of the two

Archived