Whats a Good Ska Amp?

Devinstation

• Members

Basically I got a Standard Strat and Im looking at getting a Fat Tele (humbucker at the neck). I want the good ol' ska sound but we are also pretty punk so its gotta be able to rock out some good distortion. So any ideas? A good Ska/Punk amp would be ideal and around the 500 dollar range. Preferably new. Also I would prefer a combo with 2x12 because im lazy, but it has to be a decent volume.

• Members

Dan Potthast from Mu330 has told me he uses a JCM900. I know RBF uses a marshall or 3 live along with top hat amps lately. These days the guys in Goldfinger are using line 6 pods straight through the board with a foot control being the only thing onstage.

But for a great punk/ska type sound, get yourself a twin reverb and get it good and like, dirty clean-ish and then throw an overdrive pedal on that for when you need more punk sounds. It's what joe strummer did for his whole career. So did andy summers from the police and about 4 billion other punk or ska guys.

• Members

orange ad30tc...comes in 2x12 30watt combo or you can get a 30watt head and sit it on top of an orange 2x12 cab

Unlike the bigger multi channel heads this one responds well to reggae type strumming... strum with a light touch and get a nice clean... strum harder and get heavy distortion.... plus it takes fuzz pedals really well

Jason has them at www.drumcityguitarland.com

508.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by dinrodef

orange ad30tc...comes in 2x12 30watt combo or you can get a 30watt head and sit it on top of an orange 2x12 cab

Unlike the bigger multi channel heads this one responds well to reggae type strumming... strum with a light touch and get a nice clean... strum harder and get heavy distortion.... plus it takes fuzz pedals really well

Jason has them at
www.drumcityguitarland.com

508.jpg

its also about a grand over his budget

• Members

The guy from the Toasters uses a tele into a fender combo (I think a twin, but it's been a while since I last saw them). This guy has awesome tone live (kinda like a dirty-clean). One of the best ska tones around imo, I love that "pushed Fender" sound. You'd probably have to use a pedal for distortion though.

• Members

I'll restate that I only have about $500 to spend ... I can push $550. I looked at ebay and saw a Fender Reissue Bassman 4x10 Cab, blonde beauty. Im thinking this would be just about the right thing for me and so far its in my price range. I talked to a local guitar guru in town and he told me Fender is probably the way to go because if its good cleans, and he said strap a distortion or OD pedal infront of it. Anyone know any other Fenders around $500 I could get. I reitterate I would MUCH prefer new. And I would also prefer tube but Ill take solid state if it sounds good and is quiet (my last experience with a loud solid state amp was bad noise, don't know if that is a common problem or just the amp but it was bad)

• Members

marshall's are most common for ska/punk stuff. although if you play more clean than dirty you might look into a JC120 or Fender amp with a distortion box. i like my recto in my punk/reggae band, but to each his own.

Archived