Recording Questions (presonus,sm57)

typedeaF

• Members

I bought a PreSonus firebox and a SM57 last Sunday, monitors and whatever else.

Sunday night I got ready to record just using Garage Band on OSX. I put the SM57 right on the grille cloth and the amp was at about 2 or 3, which is fairly loud. When I started recording, I was watching the audio spectrum "thing" and it wasnt even hardly registering. I cranked in mic level on the Firebox nearly wide open, little difference. I turned the amp up a little more, little affect. What gives? Do I have to crank my amp to 8 to get a decent recording level? The whole reason I got this stuff was so I could do home recording...as in, at volume levels acceptable to my neighbors. Before, when I was just using the crappy $2 PC microphone laying on the ground, it was a hell of a lot louder recording levels. Any suggestions? PreSouns is pathetic in that it gives no nice book on "How to ???" or a Beginners Guide. Just the hardware, the drivers, and sequencer software. Help.

• Members

Originally posted by mightyjoeyoungxnj

Have you opened the "firebox mixer" application and messed with the levels there??

-Joe

They appeared to be all maxed by default, so no I didnt really "mess" with them. I just looked at them. Can you give me some pointers? I have never used anything buy my cheap PC mic or the lame "line-in" on my Audigy. I am a bit...disappointed and put off right now at the lack of documentation included. Havent touched it again since Sunday night.

• Members

Originally posted by typedeaF

They appeared to be all maxed by default, so no I didnt really "mess" with them. I just looked at them. Can you give me some pointers? I have never used anything buy my cheap PC mic or the lame "line-in" on my Audigy. I am a bit...disappointed and put off right now at the lack of documentation included. Havent touched it again since Sunday night.

Honestly man, I've done most of my recording direct so far with my POD Xt. So, not too much experience yet with my Firebox and SM57. Sorry.

-Joe

Archived