Traynor YBA-1 problems

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

so I finally got my "poor mans plexi" in today and I'm checking it out, besides some scratchy pots, it seems to be ok... except when I boost it with a clean boost the volume cuts in and out... I looked in the back and the power tubes turned bright blue... boosting it was on of the last things I did, so I thought maybe it was just something that got aggravated with time, but as soon as I disengage the boost it works fine... are the tubes Fubar'd?

• Members

have you tried more than one boost pedal? maybe it doesn't like that one too much. i'm thinking that if you try a second one and the same thing happens that if could be some other component like a resistor or cap that's overloading. my bet would be on caps since they go bad over time. do you know much about the history of that amp?
the yba-1 is about 80 per cent plexi circuit. if the caps are bad.. why not take it to a tech and have it modded to plexi specs?

• Members

any clue on how much that would cost? The thing is, I just got it... the guy who I bought it from didn't seem to know too much, and he originally wanted 900 dollars for it... so I talked him down, waaaay down... I'm thinking I might be able to get him to pay for it, but I was thinking it was more of a tube problem... the more I think about it tho, wouldn't having problems once boosted indicate a preamp tube issue? I dunno, I'm also thinking output section, but to be honest I'm not an expert on tube amp topology (or any kind of amp for that matter) and only know what I've picked up in the couple years I've been playing

Archived