What is involved in jumpering channels?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

Is it as easy as plugging a short cable that you'd use for putting in between two pedals from one channel into the next and then plugging into which ever channel you want of the two thats left? I'm specifically talking about my yba 1 which is said to be a poor mans plexi, but I think all those out there with real plexi's can still help, right? I have to look up a manual or something for finding out which input does what, and get an attenuator out so I can crank it and everything, but what's the philosophy there? as in, which channels would I want to jumper? what's standard? I normally see a criss cross thing goin on, so is that a High goin into a Low? or vice versa?

last question, can this be done with fenders with two channels and two inputs per?

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

Is it as easy as plugging a short cable that you'd use for putting in between two pedals from one channel into the next and then plugging into which ever channel you want of the two thats left? I'm specifically talking about my yba 1 which is said to be a poor mans plexi, but I think all those out there with real plexi's can still help, right? I have to look up a manual or something for finding out which input does what, and get an attenuator out so I can crank it and everything, but what's the philosophy there? as in, which channels would I want to jumper? what's standard? I normally see a criss cross thing goin on, so is that a High goin into a Low? or vice versa?

last question, can this be done with fenders with two channels and two inputs per?

you have two inputs per channel on the yba-1. a high and a low.plug your guitar into the high on one channel then run a cable from the low on the same channel to the high on the unused channel.this allows you to use all the gain stages in the amp and you can use the two channel volumes to blend the two channels tohether.

this also works on most fender heads,and marshall plexis.

if you havent seen it here's a page with alot of old traynor info:

http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~dace/vb/models.html

• Members

man, I love this amp... it sorta sounded like {censored} at first, and i couldn't figure out why... way bassy and super super fuzzy, like I had a big muff boosting it or something, and I couldn't figure out why I didn't like it, so I switched out the preamp tubes from my Dual Showman Reverb and it sounds a whole hell of a lot better, it's not all floppy. Not to mention the distortion actually sounds like distortion instead of a really really fast vibration, heh... good stuff

but one thing is still wrong, since you're an amp builder, maybe you can tell me whats up... I have a wierd phase-y kinda thing goin on way up in the top frequencies, I guess sorta like someone stuck a half cocked wah in the presence control or something, except it sort of shifts really slowly... any clue what that is? Power tubes don't do that sort of thing do they? They look old as hell, and the guy I bought this from didn't seem to know much about amps, so I doubt he changed them...

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

man, I love this amp... it sorta sounded like {censored} at first, and i couldn't figure out why... way bassy and super super fuzzy, like I had a big muff boosting it or something, and I couldn't figure out why I didn't like it, so I switched out the preamp tubes from my Dual Showman Reverb and it sounds a whole hell of a lot better, it's not all floppy. Not to mention the distortion actually sounds like distortion instead of a really really fast vibration, heh... good stuff

but one thing is still wrong, since you're an amp builder, maybe you can tell me whats up... I have a wierd phase-y kinda thing goin on way up in the top frequencies, I guess sorta like someone stuck a half cocked wah in the presence control or something, except it sort of shifts really slowly... any clue what that is? Power tubes don't do that sort of thing do they? They look old as hell, and the guy I bought this from didn't seem to know much about amps, so I doubt he changed them...

power tubes do all sorts of strange stuff when they are going bad.old traynors are alot like old marshalls in that they run their tubes pretty hard.it could be power tubes or filter caps(most likely) going out.try turning the amp up fairly loud and tapping on the power tubes with a chopstick if they make a ringing noise (or any other bad noise for that matter) you've found your problem.if not its probably the filter caps (they should be changed every 10-15 years)

best thing to do would be to have the amp completely serviced (have the pots and sockets cleaned,new power tubes,new filter caps - at the very least) and then go from there.that way you will have a good starting point to work from if that doesn't solve yor problem.

Archived