5150/6505 combo

Kevin_L

• Members

Im short on cash to fund a head and cab at the moment, and im desperatly craving a new amp.

After alota research and listening to tons of clips of the 5150, I've decided its the amp for me.

So here are my questions:

1. How does the 5150 combo sound stock? In other words, is it one of those amps that'll suck outa the box but will shine with a mod or a simple tube/speaker change?

2. How does it compare to the head and matching cab?

3. Is there any difference sound wise between the 6505 and the 5150?

4. Anyone living in Canada wana sell me one? :wave:

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

The head sounds better than the combo IMO. Much better.

+1

There is a very obvoius tone difference between the head and the combo. I picked up a combo and jammed on it for 6 months, then axed it and got the head.

• Members

I own the 5150 combo and i love it. I have never really played a 5150 head though. Only a 6505 head and i liked my 5150 combo MUCH better. Of course it wasnt through the 6505 cab. And i didnt have my eq pedal which helps alot. I do have one suggestion that really gives the combo a much more HALF STACK effect. SYLMAR GROOVE TUBES! put them in the pream and power part!:thu:

• Members

I own the 5150 combo and i love it. I have never really played a 5150 head though. Only a 6505 head and i liked my 5150 combo MUCH better. Of course it wasnt through the 6505 cab. And i didnt have my eq pedal which helps alot. I do have one suggestion that really gives the combo a much more HALF STACK effect. SYLMAR GROOVE TUBES! put them in the pream and power part!:thu:

• Members

Well, I have the 5150 combo and like it a lot. Never played the head+cab either, but I have never seen one for sale around here... Besides the combo is smaller than a head+cab, and I have a very small room. And of course, if you live in an apartment and can't crank the amp quite loud, then all those 120 watts may go to waste. I've heard that the combo sounds good at low volume and it does, it sounds very good even at 1.:thu:

Archived