Peavey Valveking vs. Crate V50 ?

woodsmandan

• Members

Heh. I have the VK head paired with a B-52 cab (the stereo one - it's got a TON of low end) and the Crate V3112 (Celestion speaker).

VK can do metal without any help with the right guitar/cab. The Crate is just awesome, but not a metal combo. But thats ok for me ;)

• Members

Wow ! Reading that thread was quite a flashback ! 2 years ago, shopping for a new amp...
;)

Well, I ended up getting a Peavey Classic 50 212 a year and a half ago, and I never regreted it. Most versatile amp I ever owned. Seriously.

I only use mainly the clean channel, with some dirt in front (namely: Sovtek Big Muff, Monsterpiece NPN, Boss OD3 and Digitech Bad Monkey). This beast takes pedals very well. When I want to venture towards 80's metal territory, the lead channel boosted with the OD3 does then trick quite well.

And I love to have 2x12 speakers, nice wide sound projection.

This may as well be the last amp I'll ever buy. It does what I need, and it does it extremely well.
:thu:

I just got an older Boss SD-1(the pale yellow super overdrive)for my Classic 50/212 and love it! I forgot about how good these were. At least 20 years ago they were and still are apparently!

• Members

I too am using the VK112 and I love it. I've actually got 2 of them now... keep 1 at church and 1 at home. I'm selling my Classic 30 as the VK112 has replaced that (I like having separate EQ on both channels). One of the other guys has church has a Crate and it's not a bad amp but I prefer he VK for my sound (I tend to like classic rock/blues). The VK takes pedals well I run 'em in front of the amp with a true bypass looper to avoid tone suck (but the effects loop on the VK seemed OK when I did try it out). And Peavey just dropped the price on the VK112 to $399 (from $429) at GC, etc. so you can't go wrong for the money IMO.

• Members

I have a Windsor and in my opinion it demolishes the Valve King for its distorted tones. However, the VK is a very versatile amp and sounds great if you pair it with flattering speakers. I recommend a V30 or Greenback cab for it. The matching cab and the combos sound like dick because they're using crappy speakers. This amp loves closed back cabs, don't know why they insist on open back combos except for the weight I guess.

Your best bet is to get the head, not a combo, and run it with a good cab. If you can't afford a good V30 or Greenback cab, it's hard to go wrong with the Randall Jaguar 4x12. I'm not just saying that because I'm selling one - in fact, it's about to be unlisted because I think I'd rather keep it.

Edit: God damned {censored}ing thread necromancy

• Members

Interesting to hear a couple of things mentioned here. I've got an old SD-1 and I'm planning on dusting it off and getting it back in action as well. Sounded horrid with my Valvetronix - thanks to the digital pre-amp as per Vox themselves.

The Valvetronix is great for what it does but ALL of my old Boss pedals, Cry Baby, my Guv'Nor (original black casing) and my rack mounted Tube Driver came through at sub-dung levels.

All sound fine with my Randall RG-100 heads.

I've got a Randall 2x12 with Jaguars and will be breaking that out when & if needed.

I managed to find a used VK 212 at a local GC. Was away from the shelves of amps and guitars so I really got to give it a good run. The sound was exactly what I'm looking for. I ordered a new one from the guy who does my guitar work - I'm loyal, what can I say - but I hope I don't regret not buying the used one. Speakers were broken in nicely.

The tone chase continues.

Archived