Any wannabe Web Developers looking for an entry-level job in central NC?

snakum

• Members

I'm a manager with a small, but growing, software firm in Greensboro, NC who is always looking for another web developer. We've interviewed a few guys recently but nothing has really fit. We made one offer out of hundreds of resumes and a handful of interviews, but the guy declined cuz the money wasn't right. In our area, Developer's salaries have taken a pretty big hit since the bubble burst in 2001, and with so many applicants for too few jobs, job-seekers are beginning to see that someone with a couple years of self-taught ASP and JSP no longer commands $50K right out of the gate. The 90s were nice ... but they're gone. :(

So, this morning I thought "Why not see if any of the guys at HC are looking?" It'd be cool if I could help out one of the HCAF crew. Also, three of us, including one of the three owners, are musicians. :D

The problem we're having is that the entry-level Developers we're looking at just can't hit the ground running at all. Their concept of 'knowing Java and JSP' is VERY different from ours. Also, being a good fit is HUGELY important. In fact, being a good fit, having at least one language under your belt, and being motivated and eager to learn is our top three requirements. We've recently hired an older guy who's self-taught, and had previously done command-line Pascal programming at his first and only IT job. He was a good fit for us personality-wise, and he did a decent job on the take-home project to see if he was 'trainable', and he is turning into a very competent Web Developer. We've hired and then had to let go two Developers in six months because they just weren't going to be able to do it. Nice guys ... probably make good network techs or desktop support ... but didn't have the correct 'thought processes' for the 'Black Belt' programming we needed to be able to train them up to. We are on the 'Bleeding Edge' every single day. You could learn more here in one year than you could learn in a career at some firms.

We're small, but we are very stable (seven years in business), and we're growing fast. We can give you what you need if you can bring HTML, motivation, and a 'programing brain' to the party. We'll teach you the SQL, Java, and JSP. No degree or certifications are required. We've seen way too many 'paper tigers' to be impressed by that stuff. We're also cool as hell and have the most laid back environment I've ever worked in. Where else could you tell your boss "Suck my ass, mother{censored}er! I ain't doin' that {censored}!" and not get fired - of course, you have to do 'that {censored}' though? :D

(For the record, when it comes to client contact and in doing our jobs ... we are a highly polished and professional group. We just have a different way of communicating with each other. :freak: )

Send a PM with your basic info. If it looks like it might fit, I'd be glad to look at your resume and send it up to the Big Bosses

• Members

I might be interested. I don't know a whole lot of Java but I'm a quick learner. I know ASP and have worked with SQL before. Been doing HTML for many, many years.

Examples at http://www.tnt-studios.net past work experience includes being the webmaster for http://www.cox.com/westtexas. Drop me a line off my contact page on the TNT studios site if you think I might be what you're looking for.

• Members

You'd move to NC for an entry-level job? You're already a good fit since you're a Peavey man. Two of us at the office are Peavey fans, but the poor owner/CIO is a Marshall freak. No accounting for taste, huh? :D

(This is, of course, assuming you weren't going to be moving here already for some reason.)

We've had folks move down from Virginia and up from South Carolina, but never from West of the Mississippi. :wave:

Minhommad the Mad Muslim

• Members

Well, it would kind of depend on what the pay would be, and what the cost of living is out there, but I'd definitely consider it. I've been at my current job for 5 years now and I hate the place and have been looking for something new but there isn't really anything that interests me to be found around here.

Nothing wrong with a little change of scenery. :)

Archived