Backup amps: similar or slightly different?

triumphant_gleam

• Members

I'm looking for another head to act as a backup for my JCM 800 2203x and there's a couple I've got my eye on. I've always fancied an old 2204 and that might be what I get, BUT I'm starting to think that it might be cool to have something different for a bit more variation when recording. There'd be a slight difference between the two, but I reckon two totally different amps tracked together would be awesome for rhythm parts. Then again, if it's to be a backup amp I'd want something that I can get close to my normal tone with.

Obviously, if money were no object you could have two of every amp you'd ever need but what do you guys here think about it? Do any of you just have two amps that are the exact same (or at least very similar) model and that's it?

• Members

If you are playing out very frequently or touring a lot, then I would say get an amp that is identical or close. If you play out here and there, then go for a different flavor. I can say from experience that there's nothing worse than being on tour, having a main amp go down, and then having to play an amp that sounds completely different.

• Members

If money was no object, i'd say get the same amp. However, most people can't affoard to have a back up just hanging around. In that case, i'd say get something similar, but close. Maybe a different amp from the same company or something so that you could get more use out of it

Archived