Anyone use their G-Major to switch channels on a Dual Recto?

somata

• Members

i've been using an insert cable to switch channels on my 3 channel dual recto head for a little over a year now, and now i've just come across some info that says that doing this can damage the switching board? when i set it up i got the info off of the tc electronic site, and now they say that you can't do that....but again, i've had no problems.

has anyone else done this with seemingly no problems?

i believe that my recto is about 2-3 years old...

• Members

There is a whole thread on the G-Major and midi switching. The guys on their, especially "Dan's the Man" know the unit inside and out and are very helpful.

The bottom line is that the G-Major has two relays that can switch your amp. You may not be able to switch all the functions and it may require a special cable, but it will do it.

Also, axxess electronics makes a switcher that will do it all via midi also. I just ordered one and should get it soon.

• Members

i should clarify....

i've had my g-major for almost 3 years now, and have had my 3 channel dual recto for a little over a year...

when i got my dual recto, i went to the support page for the g-major at the tc electronics site, and got the info on how to use the relays to switch channels on the recto. so i've been using the g-major's relays and an insert cable (plugged into the switching jacks for channels 1 and 3) to switch channels on the head for over a year now.

ok, so i've had no problems using this set-up, but now at the g-major support page, they say that mesa boogie tech support has indicated that using this method on the newer heads (3 channel rectos, etc.) can damage the switching board, because of the insert cables shared ground...

so i was just trying to find out if a.) this is true and i've just been lucky or b.) if this isn't always the case or c.) if i should stop doing this....

i'd rather not have to drop the coin for an axess cfx if i don't have to....

Archived