Which tubes in which spot? V1,V2.... JJs

math2014

• Members

Hi all,

I ve read a few threads about the JJs ECC83S and the ECC803S. I got a Laney LC30II amp.

If one can summarise the info would that go like this?

ECC83S: Higher gain, lower treble, good to tame bright amps?

ECC803S: More 3d sound? Lower Gain?

Anyhow i was wondering.

Should i go for

ECC803S JJ in all positions? V1,2,3,4? (1 is driver, 2,3 gain stages, 4 PI)

ECC83S JJ in all positions?

ECC83S in V1 and ECC803S in the rest?

ECC803S in V1 and ECC83S in the rest?

TungSol 12AX7 RI ?

BTW, apart from tonal quests, my amp is crackling/poping occasionally and people told me that its because of the TAD chinese preamp tubes going south or something.

Looking forward to your advice.

Yannis

• Members

ECC83S: lower treble, good to tame bright amps?-----------YES

ECC803S: More 3d sound? Lower Gain?- Great overdriven -YES

ECC803S JJ in all positions? V1,2,3,4? (1 is driver, 2,3 gain stages, 4 PI

ECC83S JJ in all positions?

ECC83S in V1 and ECC803S in the rest?

ECC803S in V1 and ECC83S in the rest?

TungSol 12AX7 RI ?--------

These questions are very subjective and also depend heavily on how your amp reacts to these tubes.I believe Ive answered these questions before though. If you can buy em - try em! The ECC83s is good in the V-1 to reduce overall treble and smooth things out a bit but I really like the OD sound of the ECC803s. So if its bright perhaps your 3rd senario....(v-1-83s v2-4 803s) Im not a fan of all ECC83s (but again thats just me)Havent found a use for the Tung Sol yet but many use them and love em. Also a 1)speaker change will do more to change your sound than all the tubes in the world 2) an EQ pedal in the loop(if its got one) is a POWERFUL tone shaping tool.Good luck bob.

• Members

If your amp is too bright to your liking, use JJ's in V1 or all slots.

Personally I think JJ's are flat and dull most of the time, but I used them with succes to tame overly bright amps.

No experience with the Tung-Sol's.

Maybe just order some different brands and see what you like best?

• Members

Cheers guys for the replies.

Well the amp is a bit bright sometimes imho. Especially with my HBE Big-D pedal.

In general i would like more midrange detail and growl.

All of the tubes i am interested in are JJs, both the ECC83S and the ECC803S.

As far as i understand, V2,3,4 wont matter at all if they are 83 or 803, its just the V1 that matters if it is 83 or 803 right?

The other issue i am trying to solve is crackling and popping which i think it has to do with the preamp valves and not the speaker right?

I would hope that JJs are better than my Chinese TAD stock tubes.

Yannis

• Members

I've heard better things about the 803 than the 83S.

But the difference with your TAD's won't be that big. Perhaps if you changed the pre- and powertubes AND the speaker (the Laney came with a HH or something and now a 70/80, doesn't it?) you could achieve the biggest change. Especially the speaker.

And don't skip EH's. Less shrill than the TAD's and more aggressive, open and clear than the JJ's.

Please notice that I did most of my tube-rolling in audio amps, so results may vary in guitaramps.

• Members

Originally posted by kcanostubes

The best advice is to get a variety, try each in every socket and decide for yourself. Worst case, you'll have some backups which you'll need someday.

No one can predict what anyone else is going to like.

Cheers,

I just wanted a general ballpark advice on JJ ECC83S and ECC803S to know what to get in the 1st (but not last) order.

As for powertubes, my TAD EL84 rattle, and give out a {censored}ty fizzy/nasal overdriven tone. Any suggestions for EL84?

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

Cheers,

I just wanted a general ballpark advice on JJ ECC83S and ECC803S to know what to get in the 1st (but not last) order.

As for powertubes, my TAD EL84 rattle, and give out a {censored}ty fizzy/nasal overdriven tone. Any suggestions for EL84?

For EL84s, the NOS Teslas (NOT JJ) are the best deal going. Great tone!

• Members

Originally posted by Jelle

And don't skip EH's. Less shrill than the TAD's and more aggressive, open and clear than the JJ's.

I've tried laney lc30 II fully retubed with EH tubes and that amp was too trebly and had too much gain for my taste but I dont use that much gain either (had the gain not more then 5/10, SD JB in bridge). I tried the following changes: JJ 803 in V1, NOS Mullard 4024/12AT7 in V2 and a balanced Sovtek 12AX7WC in the phase inverter. powertubes remained EH-s. Basicly it did all I wanted it to do but the clean channel went a bit lifeless maybe in single note work if compared to the EH-s ( chords sounded just different but I did'nt feel lack of anything really). But maybe the gain differencies between the JJ and EH had something to do with that. Drive was much better and not as piercing to the ears. I just wish I had tried the mullard in v1 and JJ 803 in V2 to compare.

• Members

Well, Doug at dougstubes recommended me those tubes so i don't really know if 803 should or should not be used in combo amps. It survived about 15 hours of practice and one gig.

Maybe in a month I should have a chance to play another LC30 II which should be stock. I dont know for sure at the moment.

• Members

Originally posted by iwo

Well, Doug at dougstubes recommended me those tubes so i don't really know if 803 should or should not be used in combo amps. It survived about 15 hours of practice and one gig.

Maybe in a month I should have a chance to play another LC30 II which should be stock. I dont know for sure at the moment.

Cool man thanks for the tips and advice.

Damn and Today someone (supposedly reputable) told me :

"Your Laney is a cheap mass made amp in China, and you wont get good tones out of it whatever valves and speakers you put in it...."

Archived