"boxey" speakers

cincy

• Members

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X

I don't. I just cut a hole in the box in front of the speaker cone and bolt them into my cab. That way, I can sell them later as NOS, because they're still in the boxes.

I only buy NOS speaker boxes.

:o

• Members

Are they Sheffield 1200s from a 5150 cab? I find them to be sorta boxy.....they have no real defining character to my ears.

I have that cab and I dont find them to be boxy at all...

how can a speaker sound "boxy"....I like the cab..its more metal-y sounding then my Marshall...

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Owens

how can a speaker sound "boxy"....I like the cab..its more metal-y sounding then my Marshall...

Hmm....I kinda like the Marshall cabs over the Peavey cabs. Go figure :p I think they are both fairly similar, but the Marshall has a little more in the upper mids that I like.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Owens

No it's not a 5150 cab. When the amp is cranked the tone goes from chunk to kind of thud. I know not the best description. But when I eq it with an outboard unit it gets a tone that I really like. I'm not talking about extreme eqing either. Thanks for the replies (at least the useful ones:p )

• Members

Originally posted by cincy

No it's not a 5150 cab. When the amp is cranked the tone goes from chunk to kind of thud. I know not the best description. But when I eq it with an outboard unit it gets a tone that I really like. I'm not talking about extreme eqing either. Thanks for the replies (at least the useful ones:p )

What kind of cab are you referring to? It IS a PV cab with Sheffields, right?

• Members

Hmm....I kinda like the Marshall cabs over the Peavey cabs. Go figure
:p
I think they are both fairly similar, but the Marshall has a little more in the upper mids that I like.

I think its because the Marshall cab is slightly bigger.I use a BX cab that had Greenbacks in it..I swaped them out for Mesa's V30. So its kinda like a Recto cab and a Marshall cab...

The Peavey cabs are stiff and kinda hard sounding..more in your face..Actually I dig them alot.I - may- pick up a Mesa oversized..but thats all I'll ever need..:) 3-4x12's are plenty..

Archived