OT: Computers

TikiPalooza11

• Members
Originally posted by soc_monki

never said it wasnt true...just saying that a computer with 256 megs can run Windows XP just fine...like mine does
:)

its not a multitasking monster, by any stretch of the imagination, but its good to listen to music, browse the net, and talk to a few friends all at the same time
:wave:

just gotta make sure you dont have too many programs open and running in the background taking up extra memory. lots of people have problems with that...they run a bunch of useless programs and take up all their power and wonder why their computer runs so damn slow. shut everything you dont need down, and only run what you need to use.

True, seems like anything you install anymore wants to put itsself on the taskbar and run in the background.

Heres what I always do...

Start>run>regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>RunOnce Then select all and delete. Stops all that crap from starting in the first place.

• Members
Originally posted by V-B

True, seems like anything you install anymore wants to put itsself on the taskbar and run in the background.

Heres what I always do...

Start>run>regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>RunOnce Then select all and delete. Stops all that crap from starting in the first place.

hmmm didnt know that. cool :) all i have in my folder is REG_SZ...should i go ahead and delete it?

• Members

XP doesn't need that much to idle. YOUR COMP might, because you probably have tons of background crap running.

For example, lots of people's comps have 40+ processes running in the background. Mine has about 18-22.

In safe mode, the page file usage is only like 40MB, which I believe is like 20MB of RAM.

With AIM, this IE window, and Windows Movie Maker trying to load a 500MB file going, my page file usage is 207MB.

If your comp is old and slow, then back up everything you want to save, and format your hard drive and reinstall Windows. Windows degenerates over time, and who knows what kind of crap has found its way onto your comp and how screwy your HD is.

• Members
Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

XP doesn't need that much to idle. YOUR COMP might, because you probably have tons of background crap running.

For example, lots of people's comps have 40+ processes running in the background. Mine has about 18-22.

In safe mode, the page file usage is only like 40MB, which I believe is like 20MB of RAM.

With AIM, this IE window, and Windows Movie Maker trying to load a 500MB file going, my page file usage is 207MB.

If your comp is old and slow, then format your hard drive and reinstall Windows. Windows degenerates over time, and who knows what kind of crap has found its way onto your comp and how screwy your HD is.

Well ok but isnt this nit picking a bit? we're talking to laymen here, all that is part of XP for all intents and purposes. I mean, I know its not, but this guy doesnt care, he just wants better performance.

• Members

wont let me right now. ill do it later LOL

if it wont let me delete it later, ill PM you or something and see what can be done.
:)

Just run msconfig like I said. It does the same thing, but its easier, and you dont have to worry about accidently deleting stuff in the registry.

• Members
Originally posted by Erocku

Just run msconfig like I said. It does the same thing, but its easier, and you dont have to worry about accidently deleting stuff in the registry.

Wheres you sense of adventure!? Seasons dont fear the registry!

• Members

Originally posted by Erocku

MSconfig only does so much...i do use it almost religiously. using Regedit is a lot better though...im just not that well versed in it, and usually dont use it unless its neccessary or i know exactly what to do (because of the fact you can screw stuff up...royally!)

good thing is i back up the computer regularly...so if i do screw anything up i can rollback (hey, i learned a little in college...too bad they didnt teach enough.)

• Members

MSconfig only does so much...i do use it almost religiously. using Regedit is a lot better though...im just not that well versed in it, and usually dont use it unless its neccessary or i know exactly what to do (because of the fact you can screw stuff up...royally!)

good thing is i back up the computer regularly...so if i do screw anything up i can rollback (hey, i learned a little in college...too bad they didnt teach enough.)

Hands on man, hands on...

• Members

Originally posted by V-B

Well ok but isnt this nit picking a bit? we're talking to laymen here, all that is part of XP for all intents and purposes. I mean, I know its not, but this guy doesnt care, he just wants better performance.

No. xMadiMx said that XP takes 128MB of RAM to idle. I was pointing out that with all that stuff running, I was probably using about 100 MB of RAM, and I also noted close to the exact usage of RAM that XP does take. Not nitpicking at all. He was way off.

• Members

I didn't say that was the exact amount I said it used a lot something absurd like that...and right off a tech page it says..

"Make sure you have at least 256 MB of RAM, any less and your machine will lag due to use of the hard drive as memory. 512MB is preferred."

" Always make sure your system has enough RAM. 128MB is the absolute minimum, 512MB is preferred. You can bring up the Performance Tab of the Task Manager to ensure that Total Commit Charge is lower than your Total Physical Memory. If not, add ram."

• Members
Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

No. xMadiMx said that XP takes 128MB of RAM to idle. I was pointing out that with all that stuff running, I was probably using about 100 MB of RAM, and I also noted close to the exact usage of RAM that XP does take. Not nitpicking at all. He was way off.

your right 128 meg is way off from 100 meg your right, what was I thinking?

• Members

that was the problem...in my Windows XP and my Networking class we almost never did anything hands-on...it was all book stuff! i dont learn that way very well...ive got to get my hands dirty
:mad:

Book stuff has advantages, but hands on is where it starts to make sense.

• Members
Originally posted by V-B

Book stuff has advantages, but hands on is where it starts to make sense.

yea...thats why im pissed...i read my book, did my assignments, and wanted to get down to the nitty gritty on the computer, but we never did :( no point in learning it if we never go through the practical applications of it.

• Members

yea...thats why im pissed...i read my book, did my assignments, and wanted to get down to the nitty gritty on the computer, but we never did
:(
no point in learning it if we never go through the practical applications of it.

You'll have your chance man, I promise, theres not lack of PCs out there!

• Members
Originally posted by TikiPalooza11

Any good recommendations for a computer?

Seriously, build your own if you really want the best for your $$$.(I built mine completely from the ground up for under a grand from www.newegg w00t! Runs Far Cry and Doom 3 without even breaking a sweat at 1152x864 rez!) If you aren't willing or electronically inclinded enough to give it a shot then anything but a Dell IMHO. Give Alienware, Acer, Emachines or basically any retail brand a shot that carries an AMD Athlon64 chip in it and if necessary, drop in a decent video card with in your budget as well.(I see alot of unfortunately ignorant users [read: not stupid] overlooking the need for a good video card for gaming amazingly)

If you're going to be primarily gaming you definately go with AMD these days. Hope this helps, pm me if you need any more advice or help, good lucks dewd. :):cool:

• Members

Originally posted by V-B

your right 128 meg is way off from 100 meg your right, what was I thinking?

READ what I said. I was running a bunch of stuff, and that's what I was using.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but XP idling=not doing anything else.

Originally posted by xMadiMx

I didn't say that was the exact amount I said it used a lot something absurd like that...and right off a tech page it says..

"Make sure you have at least 256 MB of RAM, any less and your machine will lag due to use of the hard drive as memory. 512MB is preferred."

" Always make sure your system has enough RAM. 128MB is the absolute minimum, 512MB is preferred. You can bring up the Performance Tab of the Task Manager to ensure that Total Commit Charge is lower than your Total Physical Memory. If not, add ram."

Those are just recommended system specs, not how much memory Windows occupies.

My grandfather's comp has 128MB of RAM. I play games on it fine. Nothing serious, but it has no issues.

My other comp had 256MB of RAM, and I even played Unreal Tournament 2004 just fine on it, with the integrated graphics on the motherboard.

Now, if you've got the current Norton Antivirus or something like that on there, it will kill you. THAT is likely the main cause of people getting into their hard drive for virtual memory. The damn thing runs a ridiculous amount of stuff that you can't disable. You might mistake that for what XP is doing when it is idle, because as long as it is installed, it is there.

Archived