any tips for recording a vht??

HitTheLights23

• Members

im gonna be starting to record this saturday for a couple of weeks and wondered if i can get any tips about recording my vht 100cl w/eq.

iv never recorded with this amp before and am wondering if any one has any pointers specifically about the characteristics of this amp when recorded.

we play 80s metal/hard rock and i play les paul's.

• Members

Originally posted by HitTheLights23

im gonna be starting to record this saturday for a couple of weeks and wondered if i can get any tips about recording my vht 100cl w/eq.

iv never recorded with this amp before and am wondering if any one has any pointers specifically about the characteristics of this amp when recorded.

we play 80s metal/hard rock and i play les paul's.

I've recorded a number of them, combos and stacks.

Use large diaphragm mic, and place it about 6-8 inches from the speaker about 1/3 out from the center of the cone. If using a slant cab, mic the bottom speaker. If using two mics and a slant cab use a small diaphragm mic close to the slant speaker, about 1/3 out and the LD mic as described below and balance and pan the two signals for the best sound.

• Members

Originally posted by Paragraph51

I've recorded a number of them, combos and stacks.

Use large diaphragm mic, and place it about 6-8 inches from the speaker about 1/3 out from the center of the cone. If using a slant cab, mic the bottom speaker. If using two mics and a slant cab use a small diaphragm mic close to the slant speaker, about 1/3 out and the LD mic as described below and balance and pan the two signals for the best sound.

thanks! was this relating specifically to v30's aswell?

• Members

Originally posted by HitTheLights23

thanks! was this relating specifically to v30's aswell?

V30s in the slant portion, which were crisper and more upper mids, so avoid micing the center of the cone, and avoid angle the mic towards the cone arbitrarily, but test the various positions until you hit the best mix between the dark sounding outer regions and the harsh center of the speaker cone. Also adjust the distance to alter the quality of the sound, too. I like 6-8 back and about 1/3-1/2 between the edge and center, straight at the cab and not angled for single LD mic and closer to the cab with a SD like a sm57.

• Members

Originally posted by Paragraph51

V30s in the slant portion, which were crisper and more upper mids, so avoid micing the center of the cone, and avoid angle the mic towards the cone arbitrarily, but test the various positions until you hit the best mix between the dark sounding outer regions and the harsh center of the speaker cone. Also adjust the distance to alter the quality of the sound, too. I like 6-8 back and about 1/3-1/2 between the edge and center, straight at the cab and not angled for single LD mic and closer to the cab with a SD like a sm57.

thanks..some good advice there! appreciated!

Archived