Laney GH100 for metal?

Stone_Breaker

• Members

Hi im new here. Im looking for info in the Laney GH100l and GH100TI amps. I play metal. One of my bands plays stuff like Death, Crowbar, and Dying Fetus. The other one is more COC, Brand New Sin, Seemless type stuff. Would either of these amps be a good choice for me, do they have the gain needed to pull off death metal?

Thanks, i really appreciate the help, Pete.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

NO! My other guitar player had one and all he ever did was "long" for my Dual Rectifier. Much more tone and punch and much better gain. You can strum power chords through a boogie and feel it in your feet. You can't get that out of a Laney. The 5150EVH's are nice as well for heavy stuff . I would classify the Laney as more of a "rock" amp.

• Members

Originally posted by phatgirl

NO! My other guitar player had one and all he ever did was "long" for my Dual Rectifier. Much more tone and punch and much better gain. You can strum power chords through a boogie and feel it in your feet. You can't get that out of a Laney. The 5150EVH's are nice as well for heavy stuff . I would classify the Laney as more of a "rock" amp.

Completely ignore this person, he/she is a moron.

Laneys can cop metal tones all day long. They work for Opeth. Conider this a bump the Laney owners. :)

• Members

Laney's are brightly voiced, but if you can't get a metal tone out of a Laney GH100 you should be playing the drums. I run a VH100, two channel version of the GH, and I play both heavy and metal without a complaint.

The gain of the VH/GH equals the gain of my XXX, my El Diablo and nearly all the amp models on my HD147.

Derek

• Members

Would the GH100L or GH100TI work better for what im after, or is their much of a difference other than the 5 gain stage being permanent.

Also, what about a GH50L? I assume it would sound the same as a GH100L, but what about volume. Would it hang well in a band with a 5150 halfstack and an Ampeg SVT + 8x10.

• Members

Originally posted by StringBreaker

Thats the LC, the VC50 is no longer made, really pity. 2x12 50w combo, awesome amp.

They do a VC30, not too sure what thats like for gain though.

really, i coulda sworn that the vc stuff was voxish. (im only going off the vc30)

its the only class a stuff they have.

• Members

VC30 is more Vox-ish. It is an EL84-based amp, to boot. The VC50 was the 50w 2x12 version of the VH100R. I've had one since '96. It not going anywhere. More gain than I need, too. They are great sounding amps and the loudest 50w amp I ever played.

• Members

any laney GHs,VH, or VCs (combos) will do metal

the GH are basically the drive channel of the VH100R

Laneys VH100R just kills... moster loud, super clean, super gain. 2 twin channels + drive on each = 4 channels. Reverb for both channels. 5 fx loops.

It

• Members

heres a copy of SYL Devour ..mainly just chugging as I couldn't be fucked to program the drums anymore as it got to involved :D

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000143258_000023681.mp3

this is a more raw one but I don't think it is that good a representation

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000143258_000023536.mp3

• Members

I think it's a bit off the point to prove Laneys being good for metal by saying that Tony Iommi used them. The metal sounds of this millennium are quite far from the sound of Black Sabbath, which would be considered stoner rock / old heavy metal sound these days. I have my doubts about VH100 doing metal well. I haven't tried it, but I was also told that ENGL Screamer definetly handles metal. Well, it didn't. I had to change it to Fireball to get some modern metal sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by Nacher

I think it's a bit off the point to prove Laneys being good for metal by saying that Tony Iommi used them. The metal sounds of this millennium are quite far from the sound of Black Sabbath, which would be considered stoner rock / old heavy metal sound these days. I have my doubts about VH100 doing metal well. I haven't tried it, but I was also told that ENGL Screamer definetly handles metal. Well, it didn't. I had to change it to Fireball to get some modern metal sounds.

I agree to some point

Someone once said to me at a battle of the bands the amp sounded very black sabbath and I wanted to kill the fucking guy :mad::D At the time I didn't have it tweaked well enough and had a few other issues with tone suckage on the fx loop

To me the VH100 isn't 'metal' enough but thats not so much my style anymore

You can look around and see the most hyped amps on this board don't appear on any of the best metal albums as well ..most of those are boosted/modded marshalls,mesas or 5150's :thu:

Archived