Gary Numan "Strange Charm" synths

Numina

• Members

Hi Numina,

Yep, the synth sounds on the intro to My Breathing are really good.

There was an interview with Numan and Bill Sharpe in Sound on Sound magazine when the single 'New Thing From London Town' was released. Found the pic from the magazine but not the article.

A Yamaha FM synth (can't recall which one) was mentioned as being used on New Thing From London Town so maybe some of the My Breathing sounds were FM as well? Also, Numan was using PPGs (programmed by The Waveteam) quite heavily around '85/'86. In the pic you can see the back of a Roland MC-500 sequencer and a bit of the back of a Prophet 2000 (also mentioned in the article). Not sure what the keyboard in the background is though.

By the way, if you haven't heard it, the 12 inch version of 'New Thing From London Town' is much better than the mix on Strange Charm. :thu:

• Members

That's a good song and album! I remembered hearing "New thing from London town" for the first time during high school years and I almost didn't believe it's him because the materials/sounds is so different from his previous.

You can definitely hear lots of ppg and some dx7 in there. Some similar sounds are also on Fury and Beserker albums. The White Noise Live and Telekon albums are my all time favorite.

Archived