Post your CRUNCH clips!

Xanthomatose

• Members

Hello all,

I've been thinking about a new amp lately... trying to capture a great crunch blues/rock/fusion tone. So please post your crunchy clips and don't forget to mention the amp/cab used!

Cheers!

PS - I'll start with some clips I thought sound great:

Orange AD Series:

http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/mp3/Amp-CD/Orange/OrangeAD30HPaulaHeavy.mp3

http://www.fayschool.org/amp_test/ishould.mp3

AD30HTC

Engl Screamer Combo:

Pretty Much Everything on this page rocks:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=101781

• Members

This was my recording setup. I used the Strat into the VHT 50CL and the F-100's V30s:

hal9000VHT50CLRecordingSetup.jpg

This was literally a five minute recording just to get something down when I bought the amp. I used a single SM57.

CRUNCH:

VHT 50CL AC/DC Crunch

VHT 50CL AC/DC Crunch Reverb

VHT 50CL Afraid Dave - Burn Crunch

VHT 50CL Afraid Dave - Burn Crunch Reverb

• Members

Wow thanks!

hal9000 - The VHT sounds great, quite bright and not as aggressive sounding as the Mesa or Splawn, and not as round and warm as the Orange. It seems to have its own vibe, a little sterile.

The F-100 "Strong Woman" clip in your sig sounded very good, and a lot fatter than the VHT.

DirrtyCraig - Damn, that Splawn is a lot more versatile than I thought it was.. Definately the most aggressive sounding from the clips posted. Sounds like a very pissed off Marshall. Nailed the Yngwie tone, and sounds great in the hard rock area (the bit about 41secs on is awesome).

The SRV-style bit lacked the warmth and "bloom" of say, the Orange, but I like the sound of this amp. Maybe its not the best for that clean/grit area.

Mark 4 - Sounds good too, fat tone. This seems great for hard rock tone.

• Members

Originally posted by Xanthomatose

Wow thanks!

hal9000 - The VHT sounds great, quite bright and not as aggressive sounding as the Mesa or Splawn, and not as round and warm as the Orange. It seems to have its own vibe, a little sterile.

The F-100 "Strong Woman" clip in your sig sounded very good, and a lot fatter than the VHT.

I quite like the VHT crunch clips, for just being straight off the mic with no post processing. Since the mic was a smidge too close to the dust cap, it seems bright. But of course, you asked for crunch clips. Had you asked for heavy clips, I would have posted these: :)

HEAVY:

VHT 50CL Afraid Dave - Heavy Test

VHT 50CL - Metallica Heavy

The "Strong Woman" clip was with the Mesa F-100 using moderate gain and a midrange tone. I used the Strat's humbucker for that.

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

I quite like the VHT crunch clips, for just being straight off the mic with no post processing. Since the mic was a smidge too close to the dust cap, it seems bright. But of course, you asked for crunch clips. Had you asked for heavy clips, I would have posted these:
:)

Definately prefer the higher gain clips. Nice!

• Members

Originally posted by CFC

crunch Quickrod..

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=18058

Damn! That's good tone... I really like the voicing.. but I have an amp that does heavy rock/metal tones... its grit that I'm after, a dirty clean, or very light crunch if you want to look at it that way. But damn, I think this Splawn sounds amazing. Maybe I should get a Splawn anyway :)

• Members

Wow thanks!

DirrtyCraig - Damn, that Splawn is a lot more versatile than I thought it was.. Definately the most aggressive sounding from the clips posted. Sounds like a very pissed off Marshall. Nailed the Yngwie tone, and sounds great in the hard rock area (the bit about 41secs on is awesome).

The SRV-style bit lacked the warmth and "bloom" of say, the Orange, but I like the sound of this amp. Maybe its not the best for that clean/grit area.

Thanks man,, just FYI though, that wasn't the clean channel. That was 1st gear with the gain on noon. Way too hot for SRV, but its got that spank if you back the gain down more or go on the clean channel you can get SRV spot on.

• Members

SeraphSlaughter - I have an Engl 520 preamp and Peavey 60/60 too, we have very similar tones. What cab did you use? The 520 is great for high gain tones and metal, but I think I'm going for an Orange to get that "dirty clean" tone.

Oh, I think the 530 does the "dirty clean" thing perfect. I switch to clean and turn a bit of gain boost on and I'm fine. I'm not sure if the 520 allows that though.

• Members

Originally posted by DirrtyCraig

{censored} I keep forgetting CFC is Boz.. jeesh man your clips are awesome. I love the sound you get all the time out of your Splawn. My {censored} is so ghetto compared to that.

Thanks craig, your clips sound great to me,the Dirty Scary clip is the reason i got a Quickrod in the first place!

Archived