Suggestions for more gain/distortion out of my Marshall MG100HDFX head?

Jody Butt

• Members

This is my first post on Harmony Central.

I am wondering how to get more gain/saturation/distortion/wetness/push/depth out of my Marshall MG100HDFX head. Could I stick an overdrive pedal in front of it? A tubescreamer? Another pedal or effect? I guess I would describe the sound right now as kind of dry.

I have been playing for about 14 years, but I guess I'm still quite the noob when it comes to gear.

I was hoping to get something similar to a Stryper sound . . . see this link . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMQP3AR3re8&search=stryper

Probably impossible, but any suggestions as to how I could get my sound a little closer to this would be really appreciated.

Cheers everyone :-)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't waste any money on pedals

Your amp is solid state so most overdrive pedals etc are not no designed to help you

If you're new to gear and stuff.... have you tweaked out your guitar?... tried different string brands and guages?... are your pickups at a good height?

Small changes can make big differences.... your marshall head should be able to do that stryper sound no problem if your guitar is setup right

• Members

Get something like a Digitech Bad Monkey pedal. They are cheap, and they work well for using them as an overdrive, or a clean boost kind of pedal.

Set the gain super low at first, set the level, or output knob all the way up, then just increase the gain knob til you've got enough gain. If you use too much boost then the preamp will get really noisy, and will feedback when you play at louder volumes, so you have to balance it.:)

Most Tubescreamers will work just as good, but the digitech unit is just a lot cheaper:)

• Members

Originally posted by Rich

These amps have a ton of gain. This thread is retarded. You may be seeking compression.

Okay, maybe compression, then. Sorry, I wasn't quite sure how to describe what I was looking for. I have a Boss Compression Sustainer. Unfortunately, after taking it out of storage just recently, I found that it doesn't work.

• Members

Originally posted by Jody Butt

I also have a Boss GE-7 equalizer. I have not tried it with the Marshall head yet. (I pick up my head from my nephew tomorrow. I have been letting him play around with it for a while).

Yeah give that a shot and maybe a dirt in front like suggested above or even a modeler of some type.

• Members

I also have a Boss GE-7 equalizer. I have not tried it with the Marshall head yet. (I pick up my head from my nephew tomorrow. I have been letting him play around with it for a while).

Just set it up like, guitar - cable - eq pedal - cable - amp. Set the EQ flat, or with a mid boost shape(something like a unhappy face), and raise and lower the level slider til you get the effect you need.:)

• Members

Originally posted by OneHappyPappy

Actually Oz Fox who is an awesome guitar player played thru Mesa's with an EQ boosting the mids or something like that, I think they were the Mark IIC or III's.

Man, would I ever love to have one of those IICs. It's like tight crunch heaven. Didn't Metallica also use the IICs during ...And Justice For All?

• Members

In this link, you can see that they are using Marshall heads. I can't pick out what head, though.

Would anyone hazard a guess? On one of the heads I see two rows of knobs.

Could anyone else comment on the suitability of a Compression device in this case?

definitly a newer model...maybe an 800 or silver jubilee

• Members

Originally posted by OneHappyPappy

For those Marshalls just pop that eq thru the loop and raise the EQ's for the 1.6 K ans the 800K, maybe a suppressor would help too..

Thanks, I will try that. Do you think I would need a noise supressor too?

• Members

Originally posted by dinrodef

I wouldn't waste any money on pedals

Your amp is solid state so most overdrive pedals etc are not no designed to help you

Boosting with an OD can work equally as well for SS. However, boosting any amp that already has a ton of gain might be too much and cause a great deal of definition loss and noise.

To the original poster:

For a different flavor try turning the amps gain down a bit then boost it back up with an OD pedal. In some cases this can sound better and tighter then just cranking the amps gain knob up.

• Members

Originally posted by paul6string

Sell your MG, pocket the money you would have otherwise spent on a booster, compressor, and so and get a DSL head. It's got plenty of gain, the Marshall sound, and can get compressed when you crank up the volume a bit.

That is exactly what I did. I would sell it and save your money.

Archived