Hate your fender hot rod devilles drive sound?

bluesboy

• Members

Make sure your tubes are biased correctly... the amp i currently own is beat to {censored} basically, and it's been soaked in water (i guess it was in a house fire of some sort). Anyways, it was getting really crappy drive sounds, so i decided to learn how to check and adjust the bias. It's SUPER EASY on these amps... I gave it a tube switcheroo (not even new tubes, just switched their position and set the bias to read .72mV (a site I came across explained how to do it with pictures... ill have to post that site). Anyways, it sounds great now. I was wondering why this amp (2X12) didn't sound like the one I play with my band (4X10). Answer, it needed to be biased.... So if it's hard to get a good sound out of the drive channel of your fender hot rod, check the bias of your tubes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

Make sure your tubes are biased correctly... the amp i currently own is beat to {censored} basically, and it's been soaked in water (i guess it was in a house fire of some sort). Anyways, it was getting really crappy drive sounds, so i decided to learn how to check and adjust the bias. It's SUPER EASY on these amps... I gave it a tube switcheroo (not even new tubes, just switched their position and set the bias to read .72mV (a site I came across explained how to do it with pictures... ill have to post that site). Anyways, it sounds great now. I was wondering why this amp (2X12) didn't sound like the one I play with my band (4X10). Answer, it needed to be biased.... So if it's hard to get a good sound out of the drive channel of your fender hot rod, check the bias of your tubes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin Holton's site shows how it's done.

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/bias.html#letsdoit

Archived