Tube Replacement question for JSX owners....kinda long....

Themetallikid

• Members

I bought my JSX used about a year ago. I've played it pretty extensively but nothing that I would think would warrant having to change the tubes this fast from what I have read from others about the life of tubes. This is my first tube amp so maybe I'm still getting used to some of the things that come along with a tube amp.

but I have noticed that the clean channel on the amp seems to have much more volume than my OD channels.

For instance. I usually run my Master around 5.5 - 7 depending on stage setup.

Now for the channel volumes I run OD1 - about 5 with gain about 4-5. On OD2 I run the volume at about 4 with the gain on about 4.

Not that there is anything wrong yet, but my clean channel I can run eith even volumes about on 2 or maybe 3. Is this normal?

I know that running my g major could make patches separate volumes and such, but I've created some base patches, and copied my 'new' patches from those as a starting point. So the only volume setting I shoudl have to do is on the amp itself.

Could this be a sign that maybe my some of my tubes need to be replaced? Or does this sound like normal amp stuff? Or is this maybe a product of deeper issues with my G major that I have to investigate more thoroughly.

Thanks for any help guys.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Themetallikid

Thanks, just wanted to make sure it was my ears and not something needing to be replaced.

Ranalli...do you have any experience with the G Major??

You know I own one....but rarely use it....so I'd have to say no.

• Members

You're 100% correct. The clean channel volume is way lower relative to the two gain channels.

I always hate this because I can tell the clean tone only gets sweeter as the clean vol increases, but by 3-4 I hit a wall as my gain volumes are then on 8-9 to match volume....

Peavey Classic series amps are the same way, I always had my normal channel (clean) on 2-3 and dirty on 5-6.

• Members

Originally posted by Themetallikid

Yeah I agree, its like you have to set the master to how the clean channel volume will be, which sucks for using that power tube sound out of the master section on the od's

Yeah, I don't understand why they do that......cause I like to crank the master and then use the channel volumes.....but the cleans will always be insane unless the patch you use in the loop effects processor will tame it.

• Members

with the amount of distortion/compression the ultra and crunch channels have, it makes sense to me that they are a lot quieter than the clean. i'll admit that it bugs me a little too, but turn the volume on your guitar down about half way and then compare how loud the channels are. i think it will be the opposit.

eric

• Members

Originally posted by almost_emo

with the amount of distortion/compression the ultra and crunch channels have, it makes sense to me that they are a lot quieter than the clean. i'll admit that it bugs me a little too, but turn the volume on your guitar down about half way and then compare how loud the channels are. i think it will be the opposit.

eric

How correct you are....the clean channel cuts way down in output with marginal guitar volume lowering, whist the gain channels change little. Can get a little annoying at times.

Archived