Talk to me about Rivera KR55 Knucklehead

math2014

• Members

Hi all,

While browsing around online i was examining Rivera's website. I saw there (for the 1st time) the Rivera KR55 Knucklehead Head amplifier.

1. Three channels with different voicing (like having a good Fender/Marshall/Soldano in one amp).

2. Power reduction switch 50-25-12.5W

3. Pentode/Diode switch to go from vintage to modern operation

4. Boutique level quality of construction.

Correct me if i am wrong but this sounds like a dream amplifier to me, plus it costs 2000eu in Europe.

Now there are 2 problems.

1. The UK distributor doesnt import it unless a customer special orders it (i thought distributors had to have at least 1 of each model)

2. The French/German shops have it in stock for 300$ less than what i was quoted by the UK dealers.

Hence, i would like as much feedback/pictures and information on this amp.

It sounds like THE tool for playing from home to Gig with the power switching + a hotplate. Build quality to last you a lifetime, and loads of high end tones.

Shoot please!

Yannis

• Members

I have not had a chance to play that specific model but I just bought a Rivera Knucklehead 55. It's an older version, has only two channels and no reverb.

From what I've read about knucklehead 55 reverb it's more modern sounding than the kh 55 that I have.

I like my amp a lot and I think you cannot go wrong when buying a Rivera amp. Still I've heard some complaints about the third channel on knucklehead reverb.

From www.thomann.de you can buy knucklehead reverb 100 W at the same price as the 55 W version!!!

Sorry, I can't help more :p

• Members

I have the KR-100, It's the same thing, just 100 watts instead of 55.

It's an awesome amplifier, the variation in tones you can get is vast... because of that, it might take a while to dial it in to your liking. I run a Headmaster midi footswitch with it, so I can set different combinations of gain and effects between the 3 channels. It seriously kicks ass, of all the {censored} I've owned I've liked this the best by far. I'd still rather have a Cobra, but I'm happy with the Knucklehead.

kr100-top.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

It sounds like THE tool for playing from home to Gig with the power switching + a hotplate. Build quality to last you a lifetime, and loads of high end tones.

If you plan on using it with a hotplate then I think you'll love it

It's buzzy and harsh on it's own unless you crank it really loud... but not with the hotplate... the hotplate smoothens it out and makes it perfect at home or with a band... I use the 8ohm THD with my KHR100

Never had the opportunity to try the 55... but I think the 55 will probably sound better...100watts is really unnecessary

As long as I run it with v 30s... I almost never have to change my eq settings... the only thing I'll do is pull the mid/scoop for metal and and also adjust the gain on channel 2. Channel 2 gain is very versatile... can easily go from Megadeth at 9 to led zep at 5

The only sacrifice is response and feel... multichannel heads don't have the response of simpler single channel amps etc. I've got a few simple amps like the zvex nano, orange rocker 30 and orange ad30. THe Rivera is the most hi fi and sacrifices a bit of response and feel... but it more than makes up for it in versatility and just pure high gain metal insanity.

plan on getting a sub...if you have the cash

• Members

So lets say

my other options are

GH50L Laney

Orange Rocker 30 head

Heritage Colonial

Laney TT50H

How does the Knucklehead fare against those? Is it really worth hunting down a knucklehead in a foreign country with mail order or one of my other options would suffice?

I mostly play 60s and 70s rock and GnR, Tool, PealJam from modern stuff with the occasional slice of Metallica.

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

So lets say

my other options are

GH50L Laney

Orange Rocker 30 head

Heritage Colonial

Laney TT50H

How does the Knucklehead fare against those? Is it really worth hunting down a knucklehead in a foreign country with mail order or one of my other options would suffice?

I mostly play 60s and 70s rock and GnR, Tool, PealJam from modern stuff with the occasional slice of Metallica.

I think the KHR probably has too many options and is too high gain for what you just described...it's not really competing with those other amps you listed (in my opinion)

You'd probably be happier with a simpler amp that has better response and less gain... The Rocker 30 would work great for what you described...so would the laneys...

Archived