Marshall Artist

OneHappyPappy

• Members

Originally posted by diocide

I think it's a great amp. Given, I hit the front end with an overdrive to get it into metal territory, so these clips may be kind of misleading. Setup was either one of my agiles, into a Bad monkey, into a 3203, mesa recto 2x12 and an sm57.

I totally agree.

Listen to the Hate Eternal album "Conquering The Throne". All of the guitars were done using a Marshall Artist and an SD-1 in the front as a boost (Maybe a BBE too I forgot)

I was going to put up a few links to come samples of the album but they are not on the HE website anymore.

Derek:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

There must be something wrong with mine because I just hate it so much now I don't use it. The gain channel on it has NO mids and a fat, flubby low end and the problem is you only get a TONE control to shape the sound on that channel.

Yeah, theres definetly a lack of mids on the amp overall, but I don't think the bass is flubby. I actually have the lows boosted on my bad monkey, and the tone set pretty high on the amp, about 3 o clock.

• Members

Yeah, theres definetly a lack of mids on the amp overall, but I don't think the bass is flubby. I actually have the lows boosted on my bad monkey, and the tone set pretty high on the amp, about 3 o clock.

On mine the bass is so fat & flubby that when I do an open low E chunk for example, all I hear is "mush-mush-mush-mush" with NO crisp attack. This is plugging straight in mind you.

• Members

On mine the bass is so fat & flubby that when I do an open low E chunk for example, all I hear is "mush-mush-mush-mush" with NO crisp attack. This is plugging straight in mind you.

What I do to get rid of the flub is turn the tone to like 3 o clock and run the preamp volume REALLY high, like 3 or 4 o clock, this kinda compresses the signal and adds "grit" while taming the flub.

• Members

What I do to get rid of the flub is turn the tone to like 3 o clock and run the preamp volume REALLY high, like 3 or 4 o clock, this kinda compresses the signal and adds "grit" while taming the flub.

Do you mean Volume or Gain? I guess it doesn't matter because I put them both on maximum anyway.

• Members

Do you mean Volume or Gain? I guess it doesn't matter because I put them both on maximum anyway.

I run the gain around 3 o clock as well, but I was talking about volume and tone.

• Members

Your clips sounded great BTW. I guess I could try rolling everything back to 3-4 o'clock and using the Bad Monkey ( I have one).

What are your BM settings?

I'm not at home right now, but off the top of my head, I have the volume all the way up, highs about 11 o clock, lows around 1 o clock and the gain about 9 o clock. For the slayer clip, I turned the gain all the way down.

• Members

Originally posted by OneHappyPappy

Anyone running an EQ thru it, I've been into these for quite a while since I found out that Eric Rutan used them and he gets pretty good sound. Plus I've always thought the best way to get good saturation was thru power tubes.

I used to run a boss ge7 in the loop, but I found that I actually liked it better without it, seemed to detract from the amp for some reason.

• Members

I used to have one of those. Cute little thing.

I really liked the gain channel. Sounded really good with a TS in front of it and the gain backed off on the amp.

The clean channel was ass. Ice pick city.

They are a fixed bias amp, but the bias is non adjustable. If I still had mine I would definitely install a bias pot.

I'll bet mine was running way cold which is what made the clean ice picky.

• Members

I know there is a mod you can do to get the clean to sound a lot better, what does it entail?

You clip a certain cap in the preamp board. C13 i belive. I haven't bothered to do it, because I don't think the clean is all that bad, but it is pretty trebly. Gotta compensate for that with the guitar and pickup you use.

• Members

Maybe a Tone Zone? I like a lot of mids

One thing about the artist is that it doesn't really have that much mids. I' tried to use a GE-7 to dial some in, but it just seemed to add noise for some reason. Like all amps, you just got to try different guitars and pups with it. I've been using my Agiles (LP and Explorer copies) that are all mahagony, so they're pretty dark sounding guitars.

• Members

You clip a certain cap in the preamp board. C13 i belive. I haven't bothered to do it, because I don't think the clean is all that bad, but it is pretty trebly. Gotta compensate for that with the guitar and pickup you use.

Yah, that's the one. Maybe try and clip it so you would be able to tack it back together with solder if you didn't like the mod.

Otherwise you'll have to pull the board in order to solder another one in there.

• Members

Originally posted by El-Lardo

They are a fixed bias amp, but the bias is non adjustable. If I still had mine I would definitely install a bias pot.

I'll bet mine was running way cold which is what made the clean ice picky.

I've read up a lot on this amp and from what I've gathered it was designed to run cold, for some reason. I think it has something to do with it using EL34 tubes yet only producing 30 watts. Or that tiny transformer.

I know there is a mod you can do to get the clean to sound a lot better, what does it entail?

I did the Clean channel mod to mine, "C13 Mod" as it's called. Big difference for the better. Mellowed out the "ice pick" sound and made it cleaner, yet when cranking the volume on that channel and turning the amp's Master volume you get a nice 70's distortion sound. Hit it with an SD-1 or Zoom PD-01 and it's really nice for a hard rock sound. To me, this channel now after the modification is the better channel. Although not useful to me as I need more gain.

I swear I must have a bum amp. I first used a 3203 in this studio. The guy had one. I didn't know what it was. I said, "Can I plug in?" I was blown away. When I listen to the recordings we made, his 3203 sounds so much better than the one I later bought and still have. Mine ever sounded as good. His had this snarl I can't describe. I even called him up and and asked him if he had it modded (No) and what cabinet, to which he only said it's a Marshall 200 watt cab. Maybe he had the 1965 that was made for it, I don't know. I'm using 1960 cabs.

Archived