Noise Gates with hi gain amps?

OneHappyPappy

• Members

Used with my 5150II and Mesa MKIV, the Decimator ProRackG has a negligible effect on the tone of the amps and gets rid of ALL the noise. If you set it right, it doesn't come close to cutting off ringing chords in any reasonable timeframe...

It is a great piece of gear.

Steve

• Members
Originally posted by unsane

i second (or third
:D
) that... i was doing a session with a boosted triaxis for pretty hi-gain, had the gate inline as always and dialed up a pretty sweet tone. took the gate out of the chain just to test if we could get away with it...bam...guitar goes all weak and thin. tried tweaking the amp..couldnt replicate the same sound we had going....

NS2 goes straight back in
:D

I havent been using mine lately, but I will have to try that. I always knew it did 'something' but could never pinpoint what exactly. Maybe thats some of the punch Ive been missing :)

• Members

Originally posted by Inazone

I use an old Rocktron Guitar Silencer that works extremely well and doesn't suck tone as far as I can tell. If it ever dies, I'll probably get an ISP, but so far so good.

I've got two of these and they do work very well. I use them with my VHT Pittbulls. Too bad they don't make them any more.

• Members

I got a decimator recently (the pedal version) to use in the loop of my savage se. It's great (hell of a lot better than the ns2, which i also have), but just a few words of warning (i'm not saying it's bad, it's just to let you know):

(a) At the level I need to set it to cut the noise on my high gain channels, it messes up the clean and crunch channel. I mean, seriously affects the sustain and volume of these channels. Now, it's no big problem for me, since my amp has two fx loops (one for the clean/crunch channel, and one for the high gain channels), so i can just buy a few more leads and problem solved. But if your amp doesn't have two fx loops, it'll be introducing another level of tap-dancing into your playing, since you basically have to turn it off for cleans.

(b) It's totally transparent. However, I find that my high gain sound almost sounds too clinical with the gate on. The Decimator is almost too good, lol. Some of the character of the tone seems, almost unbelievably, to be in the noise! Of course, it's possible that I have the threashold up too much, but I don't think so. That being said, I still keep it on. It is basically transparent. So, basically: transparent: yes, Noticeable that it's on: yes, as well.

Just my two cents.

And I must reiterate- I'm not saying it's crap, it's great (the level of noise on my high gain channels is the same as my clean channel when it's on), but you need to realise the inherent flaws (if that's the right word- it seems too strong a word- limitations might be better, lol) in noise gates- even pretty much the best one there is.

:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Sick Michael

I had the built in one on my old powerball and I dont think I used it once. Completely redundant.

The amp was already pretty quiet for a high gainer. And I like a bit of noise!!

wasn't the one on the V1 powerball meant to be rubbish, though, michael?

• Members
Originally posted by Dave_Mc_2

wasn't the one on the V1 powerball meant to be rubbish, though, michael?

I have no clue really cause I never compared it to anything. I just kept it off the whole time. Never experimented with it. I liked the reassuring slight hiss of channel 3 anyway -> meant I was prepared for business! :)

• Members

I have no clue really cause I never compared it to anything. I just kept it off the whole time. Never experimented with it. I liked the reassuring slight hiss of channel 3 anyway -> meant I was prepared for business!
:)

yeah, that's the thing with the decimator- the high gain channels sound exactly like the clean channel when you aren't playing- you have to look at the amp to see where you are :D

I never tried the powerball's gate- i've only tried it in the shop, i didn't fancy leaning round the back, since knowing my luck i'd probably knock the damn thing over or something...

• Members

I never tried the powerball's gate- i've only tried it in the shop, i didn't fancy leaning round the back, since knowing my luck i'd probably knock the damn thing over or something...

You'd probably get a bollocking for even looking round the back of the amp.....if it was a shop in Belfast.
Either that or some ignoramus would start trying to sell you it because of the "amazing effects loop feature"!! :freak:

Yeah, I take your point about the different channel levels reeking havoc with your settings. As someone else said before, I dont tend to play with that part of sound too much. (In actual fact I sometimes use my GMajor's compressor in the loop!).

• Members

(a)You'd probably get a bollocking for even looking round the back of the amp.....if it was a shop in Belfast.

Either that or some ignoramus would start trying to sell you it because of the "amazing effects loop feature"!!
:freak:

(b)Yeah, I take your point about the different channel levels reeking havoc with your settings. As someone else said before, I dont tend to play with that part of sound too much. (In actual fact I sometimes use my GMajor's compressor in the loop!).

(a) Touche.

A certain shop in Belfast- began with an "M", had an "s" at the end, and an "arcu" in the middle (not necessarily in that order, but probably, lol)- tried to tell me that Marshall were the only valve amps you could get with "any dirt to them" (their exact words). Seriously. I'm not making this up. I.e. they told me basically "Marshall are the only valve amps that you can get distortion out of". I don't know how I kept a straight face. Especially since I had just come from trying an Engl Powerball or a Screamer at the B.G.E., which have much more gain than Marshalls. It's still a mystery how I didn't just piss myself. I just about managed to get out a "Oh, is that right, that's interesting" without collapsing in uncontrollable laughter. Still, it explains why I haven't bought anything from them since I started playing.

(b) Cheers.

• Members

(a) Touche.

A certain shop in Belfast- began with an "M", had an "s" at the end, and an "arcu" in the middle (not necessarily in that order, but probably, lol)- tried to tell me that Marshall were the only valve amps you could get with "any dirt to them" (their exact words). Seriously. I'm not making this up. I.e. they told me basically "Marshall are the only valve amps that you can get distortion out of". I don't know how I kept a straight face. Especially since I had just come from trying an Engl Powerball or a Screamer at the B.G.E., which have much more gain than Marshalls. It's still a mystery how I didn't just piss myself. I just about managed to get out a "Oh, is that right, that's interesting" without collapsing in uncontrollable laughter. Still, it explains why I haven't bought anything from them since I started playing.

One time I was in, looking at OD pedals, and the guy (looked like he was one of those art college types that hang round the corner) tried to tell me that I didnt really want a pedal and that instead I should probably buy their Boss modeller which was in the corner.

Another time I asked if they had any cabs with V30s in them. The guy laughed, looked at me like I had 4 heads and said of course not!

:idea::rolleyes:

I think though that the older guys in there know their stuff. But you still pay silly prices for stuff in there.

• Members
Originally posted by Shask

I havent been using mine lately, but I will have to try that. I always knew it did 'something' but could never pinpoint what exactly. Maybe thats some of the punch Ive been missing
:)

Oh it does something... but what it does sounds good to me and I like it better in the chain than off. Its strange because I don't find it to be the tipical boss high end boost which I don't like on the TU-2 which is specially noticed with emgs. the TU2 seems to make the sound more thin. But I don't notice it with passive PUs.

The NS2 affects the low mids. At least is what I hear.

When I'll have the time I will take a look at the schematic to try to find which freq is affecting.

Either way since the NS2 works great and flawless in my rig (no noise, virtually no cutoff) I keeping it for sure.

I use it to gate the guitar and the preamp at the same time so I can have max gain and max volume without any noise.

The decimator (pedal) can't do both at the same time but that's why there's the rack version. But since I don't use racks anymore and need all fx tools to be pedal type, the ns2 works great.:thu:

• Members

(a)One time I was in, looking at OD pedals, and the guy (looked like he was one of those art college types that hang round the corner) tried to tell me that I didnt really want a pedal and that instead I should probably buy their Boss modeller which was in the corner.

(b)Another time I asked if they had any cabs with V30s in them. The guy laughed, looked at me like I had 4 heads and said of course not!

:idea::rolleyes:

(c)I think though that the older guys in there know their stuff. But you still pay silly prices for stuff in there.

(a) haha :D:thu:

(b) ditto (a)

© I think they all know their stuff, and are just trying to gip people that they think don't know any better...

• Members

Originally posted by keith2112

I'm running two amps now. Because the Framptone is sooo hard to get I'm using a Morely JL Tripler. Man, I'm getting some noise major hum. What will help without muffling our hurting my signal.

What you are hearing is called ground loop hum, and to get rid of it you have to find a way to lift the ground on one of the amps. You can use one of the 2-prong electrical plug adapters as a patch, but you would be better off getting a unit that can switch the ground in and out on all 3 channels. Best bet is to order and wait for the Framptone, IMO. I know it's expensive and it sucks to wait, but it works like a champ.

• Members

The literature with the morely state something about the ground loop. Please explain what I can do right now please. Yes I will get the Framptone which changes the high to a low impedence. Explain please.

You can try using one of those little gray 2- prong electrical plug adapters on one of your amps. Since the ground prong is removed, it may be sufficient to eliminate the loop hum you are hearing. I believe the hum happens because both amps are grounded on the same circuit (EE's correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope that helps.

• Members

Yes, yes, now that I have it in layman's terms I can handle that. Thanks a bunch. Now, when the Framptone changes high to low impedence, is this a real good thing. I tried my brother's VHT Valvulator as a way to use both amps and really thought I was loosing signal.

• Members

Yes, yes, now that I have it in layman's terms I can handle that. Thanks a bunch. Now, when the Framptone changes high to low impedence, is this a real good thing. I tried my brother's VHT Valvulator as a way to use both amps and really thought I was loosing signal.

Straight from the Framptone 3-Banger manual:

The Framptone 3-Banger's instrument input is fed through a custom-designed buffer circuit which converts the instrument input to a low impedence signal allowing the instrument signal to be fed to many amplifiers without suffering ANY signal loss or degradation.

I don't feel like I lose any signal at all using this unit. What comes out of the 3-Banger sounds just like what comes out of the guitar (to me). A purist will tell you otherwise, but to me it sounds outstanding.

Archived