Line 6 Flextone III vs Kustom WAV 212 Combo

tanner

• Members

Having been 'burned' by tubes and not a fan of fiddling with effects pedals live. Which amp would people recommend? I'm intrigued by the tube for lead in the Kustom WAV but would like to know peoples opinion on sounds as ive not been able to ty one out

Cheers

Tanner

• Members

I can't comment on the Flextone (nowhere around here sells them), but I purchased the 210 WAV about 3 months ago. The clean channel is crystal clear, warm, not brittle, and plenty loud. The distortion side has 4 different settings: clean, classic, crunch, and wav. The amp manual comes with a schematic outline, turns out only the clean and classic use the 12AX7 tube; the crunch and wav settings use solid state distortion but still sound good. The classic setting is modeled on a Vox, the crunch on a Marshall JCM, and the WAV on a Rectifier. I didn't expect much out of this amp for the price, but I was actually surprised. You can get some great tones right out of the box. The built in delays, modulations, and reverbs all work well enough and don't overpower the amps tone. While I've never owned any of the amps the Kustom is modeling, I've tried and/or owned a Roland Cube 30, Vox Valvetronix, Behringer Vampire, Line 6 Spyder, Fender Princeton, and a ton of pedals. The WAV in my opinion has better tone, effects, and EQ than any of them and is also more versatile. You might want to check the reviews section also. For the price you really can't go wrong.

• Members

I spent time with Vox Valvetronix, AC30 and AC15, Fender Pro Junior, Blues Junior, Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod Deluxe, Hot Rod Deville, Twin Reverb, Vibroking, Super Reverb, various Crate tube amps, a few Marshall tube amps, Roland JC-90 and JC-120, Peavey Classic 30, Valveking, Traynor YCV20WR, Epiphone Valve Series, Mesa F-30/F-50, and Mark I and others forget. I traded one in and returned a few others looking for the right amp for me. Then I found the Flextone III :)

I'm not returning the Flextone, absolutely love it. You'll want the FBV Shortboard, so it's not cheap, but still worth it.

Archived