Anyone tried an Ampclamp?

flyangus

• Members
Originally posted by Big Hair

my only worry with these would be if you were playing loud at a gig wouldnt the vibrations travel along the arm and possibly affect the mic tone??

I did wonder about that. You reckon it'd be worse than the floor?

How's junior?

:D

• Members
Originally posted by flyangus

I did wonder about that. You reckon it'd be worse than the floor?

How's junior?

:D

junior is just fine!!!
I have a feeling that the vibrations would be worse than the floor yeah. Only exception might be a resonant wooden stage, most others would absorb some of the vibrations to an extent, whereas you actually want the cab to resonate.

• Members

Originally posted by Big Hair

junior is just fine!!!

I have a feeling that the vibrations would be worse than the floor yeah. Only exception might be a resonant wooden stage, most others would absorb some of the vibrations to an extent, whereas you actually
want
the cab to resonate.

I guess I was thinking of a wooden floor! It would be nice to free up some floor space though:D

• Members

i use something kinda similar to this...it has a thick felt washer where the mic clip screws on, and a hard rubber mic clip, between the two of those pretty much all vibration is killed...i've done some a/b tests with it v.s. a mic stand, and i couldn't hear any difference in the sound at all

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

i use something kinda similar to this...it has a thick felt washer where the mic clip screws on, and a hard rubber mic clip, between the two of those pretty much all vibration is killed...i've done some a/b tests with it v.s. a mic stand, and i couldn't hear any difference in the sound at all

Thanks. Do you have a link for it?

• Members

Looks like a good idea, but doesn't look very adjustable!

Anyone tried one?

Not a lot of info on the site.........

Angus, I made a pair of these for myself like 20 years ago and alway thought about marketing them but of course never did anything about it. Mine are made with some clamps used for securing a magnifying light to a desk and some test-tube beaker holders - it was all stuff I happened to have access to at the time.

I think you can make your own fairly easily. I would take a C clamp and lay a piece of threaded boom arm along its length. Secure it to the C clamp with wire ties. If it seems to slip around use a piece of rubber under the wire ties so they grip well.

You'll need a mike clip that opens up enough to allow you to push the mic all the way into the clip so it's just under the head. This should allow it to sit right up against your grill and angle the mic whichever way you want.

It won't be very adjustable but should be cheap enough to make one to fit every cab you have. Just set the length of the arm to fall in the middle of your speaker before you tie it down.

Make sense?

• Members

Thanks. Do you have a link for it?

the product i use is called a z bar, made by z right stuff (it's the only thing they make as far as i know)

i'm not sure where or if they're available over there tho, i'll try to dig up the place i bought mine from

• Members

Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

Angus, I made a pair of these for myself like 20 years ago and alway thought about marketing them but of course never did anything about it. Mine are made with some clamps used for securing a magnifying light to a desk and some test-tube beaker holders - it was all stuff I happened to have access to at the time.

I think you can make your own fairly easily. I would take a C clamp and lay a piece of threaded boom arm along its length. Secure it to the C clamp with wire ties. If it seems to slip around use a piece of rubber under the wire ties so they grip well.

You'll need a mike clip that opens up enough to allow you to push the mic all the way into the clip so it's just under the head. This should allow it to sit right up against your grill and angle the mic whichever way you want.

It won't be very adjustable but should be cheap enough to make one to fit every cab you have. Just set the length of the arm to fall in the middle of your speaker before you tie it down.

Make sense?

Thanks Randy,

Yeah it does, I might just do that, or rather get my old man to do it:D (he's pretty nifty with stuff like that)

BTW, do you have an Elmwood Modena?

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

the product i use is called a z bar, made by z right stuff (it's the only thing they make as far as i know)

i'm not sure where or if they're available over there tho, i'll try to dig up the place i bought mine from

Thanks, I'll google it!

• Members
Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

Why yes, I do!
:love::love::love:

Amazing amp - ever play one?

No, I haven't but something about it has piqued my interest!! I love the red wood shell and black chassis - looks great. I like the clips on the site too. What do you think of it?

• Members

No, I haven't but something about it has piqued my interest!! I love the red wood shell and black chassis - looks great. I like the clips on the site too. What do you think of it?

Yeah, it is one of the nicest looking amps I've seen. Tone-wise it's kind of a cross between a hot-rodded Marshall and an Uberschall. Very thick and rich and just dripping with harmonics and overtones. Great master volume, great loop. Also has a great setup for footswitchable volume and gain boost (both of which are variable). The clean channel is not the greatest but that doesn't bother me much. Tons of gain and low end available if you want it. The tone controls all have a huge sweep so it is very tweakable. It's a very open and natural feeling amp. Grab it if you find one!

Archived