Snake Oil Strings

GibsonSG

• Members

Thought I would bring this up again as the buzz that was surrounding these kinda died down. I bought my first set from Zepman back at the beginning of December last year. I am just now noticing that they need to be replaced, 3 months later. Keep in mind, I don't wipe my strings down when I'm done playing either. I get it out of the case, play it, and put it back in. Sometimes I play an hour per day, sometimes 3-4 hours. These have lasted longer than any other set of strings I have ever tried, and sounded good the entire time. I am definitely still very impressed with them, and I stand by my original review that I posted here after playing them for a few hours.

• Members

Originally posted by Evan666

website for the strings?

http://www.zepman.net

I really like the RGT.... I had an RG3120 Prestige model... but was tired of the trem... so I sold it and bought this one. It plays really good, don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon... although I'm still holding ou for a PGM :)

• Members

Originally posted by zepman

:thu:
Have you tried the acoustics?I have a 74 Guild that has been strung for 3 months and still chimes AND I have never had a set of strings on that guitar for more then 2 weeks until now:)

Not yet, next order I put in with ya I'm gonna get a set though... my acoustic is probably due for a restring.

• Members

Originally posted by Evan666

thanks man, you like the 81 in the bridge? is it bright because it is a maple neck through?

No, it's not really bright at all since the body is mahogany, it tames it down pretty well. I prefer a very dark sound, and it gets it quite well.

• Members

Originally posted by desiderium

two questions...

1) why are they worth more than elixers (which i can get for about 6 or 7 bucks)

2) is there an actual snake on the package? because that would make me cry like a little bitch.

:cry:
:cry:

Well, for me my local shop sells elixer... and they're more like $20 so I don't have that option. But I have played some elixer and the SOB strings don't have that weird feel to them that the coating gives the elixers. Course I played the originals, hadn't tried the nano coated ones... so that may be different now.

And, I threw away the package... but I think there was a snake on it... but it was just a cartoony type drawing... not a pic like the one on zepman's site. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just replaced the first set of snake oils I bought (back in Oct) that I put on my Les Paul Custom the same day I got them. They have hundreds of hours on them, they survived Kage, Tweed, Gainiac,Ralphie shredding at Zepfest "06". They have never been wiped off and with the exception of the "g" string (the first string to die)still sounded great when I replaced them earlier this week. Without a doubt the most durable musical string I have EVER touched. LONG LIVE SOB STRINGS because God forbid I ever have to use OTC strings again:thu: ..........John

• Members

The electrics are great. With GHS I go through a set per show per guitar (about 4 - 6 sets a month), with the Snake Oils I get through about 3 shows and they still feel fresh but the sound starts to die down a little. Well worth it and Dean F. is a great guy which makes it all that much better IMHO :)

Archived