Modded My YJM 308

joeyvoltage

• Members

So I modded a stock YJM 308 to original gray specs (first time I have done this in a while without putting in my own circuitry), and A/B it with an original gray. sounds as close as you can get. I should finally go into business. How much do people usually charge for these mods?

• Members

Originally posted by BadRonald

I've got one of the Music 123 Yjm's coming. I used to have an old yellow 250. It actually sounded very good. Good boost.

Did you find the YJM to be harsh? Why did you mod it?

:cool:

Not harsh really, I just have another one on the way, and wanted a backup for my original Gray. Plus there is alot of hype around the gray version, and since I have the ability to mod (have been building, and modding amps and pedals for a while), I figured hell, maybe I will try making money at it.

• Members

Originally posted by joeyvoltage

Not harsh really, I just have another one on the way, and wanted a backup for my original Gray. Plus there is alot of hype around the gray version, and since I have the ability to mod (have been building, and modding amps and pedals for a while), I figured hell, maybe I will try making money at it.

So you modded it, but it doesn't sound any better?:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by BadRonald

So you modded it, but it doesn't sound any better?
:cool:

Thats subjective. They are good at different things. The Gray one is a little fatter in tone, and the YJM is good, at adding a tighness to a looser sound maybe. depends on your setup. I would probably opt for the Gray version if you were to use a brighter amp like a plexi, or any other older marshall.

• Members

I listed the differences on one of the other threads, but there is a couple of more. input cap is one. also in the original Gray there is no 25p cap in the -FB loop. it does affect the tone. the other differences have to do with lead dress, which can affect the tone. the other differences have to do with the dielectric of the components used for the gray, which I have taken note of. (I've cracked open several and have seen differences in components, and their values).

• Members

So I checked some of those sites mentioned, and found that maybe I should premod them and try to sell them on Evil bay. There are two things mentioned about the mods on Analog man site, that I don't fully agree with, maybe because he is trying to run a business (and I understand this). But I have seen his prices, and could most likely beat them. Thanks for all the help of the people who posted!

Archived