What to do for live submixing?

vinceg

• Members

Wow...I just discovered the thread on cable chaos. I was performing with a keyboard, a guitar rig, and a mic -- two stereo inputs and one mono input. Now, I'm switching to a two keyboard setup, so three stereo inputs and one mono. Up until now, we've been just getting by with running mono cables around. Now that I'm adding a KB, it tips the scales -- I guess I have some local mixing to do (obvious to everyone else, I reckon, but new to me).

So, I sniffed around here and saw some recommendations for things like Rane and others, but they're a bit pricey. I'd like to let my bank acct cool off a little while after the keyboard purchases. Are there some lower end mixers people are using successfully? Some specific questions:

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to try to use that Mackie. It just seems like it would be a logistics problem -- taking up a lot of space on stage.

Thanks, V

• Members

I use a Phonic MM1202

it has enough capabilities including balanced output (not cannon but I have connectors) for being a good sub mixer

I checked out the Phonic web site. I didn't see an MM1202 but I did see an MU1202. Is that similar? Assuming that's also a tabletop unit, how do you set it up with you?

• Members

My mackie 1202 vlz goes right on the floor. Doesn't take up much space. I don't need to get at it-- now that I've got the levels figured out, I don't need to fiddle with it.

I used to use a cheap $80 Behringer eurorack mixer. It worked fine for years, though I believe the mackie sounds better. I switched partly because I had just dropped over 5 grand on an Evolver and an Electro3, and it seemed funny to run them through the cheapest mixer.

One thing I miss about that Behringer is that it was small enough to pack into my box of cables. I pack the Mackie in its own case (a laptop bag).

• Members

i use a rane sm82. very simple but quality. you can sometimes find them on ebay for under $200.

i also just got a mackie 1202 VLZ for $125 i'll be using it for another project.

i've seen tons of bands use tabletop mixers for live performance stuff. if your low on funds then just use the mackie you have.

Archived