How much gain on a Mesa MKIII?

ScottIans Beard

• Members

No, you dont have to crank it to get high gain. Some crazy people on here like to use this crispy cream pedal to provide a further kick but generally all those Mark series amps have plenty of gain stock.

The thing you might not like about them is the voicing.

The MK series typically have a very saturated gain structure, but retain a degree of smoothness and near infinite sustain. The voicing is a refined one and much depends on the cab you use.

Im not saying this is the best cab in the world, but I used my Quad preamp through a Marshall 1960 cab with 75 watt speakers, and it easily kept up with the Powerball I had. (assuming one is using settings of usable gain)

• Members

Originally posted by ScottIans Beard

How much gain on tap does a mkIII have, compared to say a modern hi-gainer, like a recto?

Do you really have to crank one to get modern hi-gain, or does it have it for days on tap like a recto, diezel etc....

One thing that people keep on forgetting is that there is only so much that you can do with the design of a tube amp. You can only get so much gain out of an amp before it turns to mush and that is because of how tubes works. The point to my rant is the MKIII has as much if not more gain then any/some of the current production amplifiers.

The Mark series boogies also sound great at any volume!

I hope this helps!!

• Members

Interesting stuff. Thanks guys!

Im thinking about maybe picking up a Mesa to complement my Marshall 2204. Ive heard great clips from all of the Mark series amps, and the Mark IV i played was very nice, just out of my league finance wise. That had all the gain i would probably use and more!

• Members

How much gain on tap does a mkIII have, compared to say a modern hi-gainer, like a recto?

Do you really have to crank one to get modern hi-gain, or does it have it for days on tap like a recto, diezel etc....

Dude, the Mesa Mark series amps don't even have enough gain to pull of some modern country music, don't even bother with them! :thu:

• Members

They have more than a recto, with a very pronounced midrange. They also have alot of sustain and hide mistakes in your playing easily. They are smoother than a recto, and closer in design to souped up BF fenders, and Dumbles. They sound good for lead amps, but I personally wouldn't use them to play chugging metal if thats your thing.

• Members

Originally posted by joeyvoltage

They have more than a recto, with a very pronounced midrange. They also have alot of sustain and hide mistakes in your playing easily. They are smoother than a recto, and closer in design to souped up BF fenders, and Dumbles. They sound good for lead amps, but I personally wouldn't use them to play chugging metal if thats your thing.

You can absolutely use them for chugging metal with no prblem at all.

Also.. We will have to agree to disagree about covering up mistakes in your playing. Yes... They are easier to play on then lets say a plexi but a mistake is a mistake. You can hear a sloppy player no matter what the hell they play on.

Here is some chugging metal for you done with a mKIV.

go here and listen to surrounded and vulvacure.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=147856

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

Also.. We will have to agree to disagree about covering up mistakes in your playing. Yes... They are easier to play on then lets say a plexi but a mistake is a mistake. You can hear a sloppy player no matter what the hell they play on.

I said "I" wouldn't use them for chugging. reason being that they (to me) are really sensitive to how you e.q. them, and what works well for chugging maybe won't work well for lead. As far as the mistake comment is concerned, I will re-word it like this. They are very forgiving amps. Much more forgiving than a plexi, jcm800, Laney, Bogner, Soldano, or a VHT.

• Members

Originally posted by joeyvoltage

I said "I" wouldn't use them for chugging. reason being that they (to me) are really sensitive to how you e.q. them, and what works well for chugging maybe won't work well for lead. As far as the mistake comment is concerned, I will re-word it like this. They are very forgiving amps. Much more forgiving than a plexi, jcm800, Laney, Bogner, Soldano, or a VHT.

Also take into consideration that the band who pretty much invented chugging metal, Metallica, used Mark series Boogies from Master Of Puppets to today.

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

Also take into consideration that the band who pretty much invented chugging metal, Metallica, used Mark series Boogies from Master Of Puppets to today.

yeah, but I wouldn't consider either guitar player to have good lead tones, at the same time. Wasn't their setup a little more complicated than just a Mesa MKII? Weren't some Marshall's involved in that sound???

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

He is one of the sickest metal players I ever heard...

Amazing...

Steve

Archived