Workin' mans rig (pics)

tshapiro

• Members

It's been a while since I've posted some pics so I thought it was my turn to contribute.

It may not look glamorous, but, it's a great working rig. I play live professionally every weekend. There's a lot of cords but they are for mic, mp3 player mounted on the mic stand for pre-created samples, power for wah and mp3 player, monitor speaker, guitar to wah, wah to amp, amp switcher, and remote for 2 true bypass loop switchers (2 button Marshall looking switch).

Sitting on the amp are some minimal effects: Octaver, Chorus, Delay, and Tuner. The red boxes are 2 Nobels remotely switched true bypass loopers. Between the red boxes are some loooper boxes which allow for easy hookup of an inline true bypass loop (octaver) and an effect loop true bypass loop (chorus/delay). The tuner is in the effects loop all the time and is switched on by hand.

While it may seem complicated, I'm actually running virtually effect-free with a totally clean chain except for the Morley which has a fantastic buffer. The Morley is colorless when off and boosts my signal just a hair which I like.

What I like about this setup is that all the complicated wiring is housed in the true-bypass box that sits on the amp. Plug in just a few loop cords and I'm ready to go. Plus, the pedals are kept away from the drunk girls spilling beer and falling over my monitor. Our band has become big fans of cheap black duct tape... a little bit here and there really tightens up the stage.

2006-03-18-134508-3114.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by Code-001

:cool:
You ever think of making a snake though to minimize the amount of wires? Also, what's the mp3 player for? "Pre-created samples?"

Problem with the custom 'bought' snakes it that they don't have high quality cables like the Planet Waves and Monster that I'm using. I like the Planet waves to the guitar because it's good quality like the monster but it's still flexible. And, of course, I like the Monster cable because it doesn't affect my signal. I would make one but I don't want to introduce any plugs for the switchers and power into the chain because they eventually get dirty and start to fail. My approach does take a little more effort but it's very reliable and I can easily swap out a bad cord because you can't really repair those Planet Wave or Monster ends. Even the power extension cords fail over time.

I use the mp3 player to play pre recorded or midi programmed sound effects, keyboards, horns, etc. They are seemlessly integrated into the show - we're a guitar band not a techno band. How we keep it all in sync is with the drummer having in ear monitors but that's getting into our classified secrets :)

• Members

Originally posted by Gitfiddler

T: where does your band play in jax? i may be moving there from TAmpa and I know very little about the city.. Also, any guitar shops you recommend? i saw georges in orange park and one on beach blvd..

thanks!

We play at Square One in San Marco, Aroma's in Ponte Vedra Beach, Ragtime and Sundog in Jax Beach. And the occational wedding and Universal Studios gig.

I come from Washington DC where my agent booked 100 bands each weekend. But, still, Jax is one of the best gigging towns if you're not looking to do 5 nights a week or make a living. For weekend work, the clubs are hoppin and live music rules.

Best repair shop/odds and ends purchases is a small store called Chips on Southside Blvd. The guy knows everything about tube amps/guitars and is happy to spew his knowledge on anyone who asks.

Otherwise theres both a Guitar Center and Georges which are your typical large chain idiot sales guy stores.

If you come this way, look me up. I've got a ton contacts if your looking for gigs... Just pm me and I'll forward my contact info.

• Members

Originally posted by tshapiro

We play at Square One in San Marco, Aroma's in Ponte Vedra Beach, Ragtime and Sundog in Jax Beach. And the occational wedding and Universal Studios gig.

I come from Washington DC where my agent booked 100 bands each weekend. But, still, Jax is one of the best gigging towns if you're not looking to do 5 nights a week or make a living. For weekend work, the clubs are hoppin and live music rules.

Best repair shop/odds and ends purchases is a small store called Chips on Southside Blvd. The guy knows everything about tube amps/guitars and is happy to spew his knowledge on anyone who asks.

Otherwise theres both a Guitar Center and Georges which are your typical large chain idiot sales guy stores.

If you come this way, look me up. I've got a ton contacts if your looking for gigs... Just pm me and I'll forward my contact info.

cool.. i saw Chips on southside when i was up there.

you may be busy or already know about this, but we're having a FL amp forum next weekend in orlando.. there should be a ton of gear there.. you're welcome to join us if you'd like

Archived