Best source of SID/Chiptune sounds?

John_McEnroe

• Members

you mean like using 'tables' to sweep through the waveforms? does the 'Wave Sequence' not work for that? sucks, but i guess you can't really do that in Nanoloop, right?

does the 'Wave Sequence' function work with the SID type by placing a different waveform on each step to create drum sounds like on the original hardware or must every step reference the same waveform. (not sure how familiar you are with the C64.)

as for SID sounds, i've found QuardaSID to be *very* authentic to the original. so much that i can't even be bothered to screw around with the original hardware anymore.

Chipsounds sure is ugly/generic looking though, i sort of wish they would've used a more 'retro' look to it. :D

• Members

you mean like using 'tables' to sweep through the waveforms? does the 'Wave Sequence' not work for that? sucks, but i guess you can't really do that in Nanoloop, right?

does the 'Wave Sequence' function work with the SID type by placing a different waveform on each step to create drum sounds like on the original hardware or must every step reference the same waveform. (not sure how familiar you are with the C64.)

as for SID sounds, i've found QuardaSID to be *very* authentic to the original. so much that i can't even be bothered to screw around with the original hardware anymore.

Chipsounds sure is ugly/generic looking though, i sort of wish they would've used a more 'retro' look to it.
:D

I'm talking about the actual shape the wave is making, not the duty. On LSDJ, basically you can set an effect where the actual waveform shifts like crazy, and it's a really cool thing to use. It's done in the "synth" page of LSDJ.

To answer your question about the SID in the wave sequencer, yeah, PWM is really easy. You can also assign a knob or slider to do it and not even use the wave sequencer.

To be honest, I haven't messed with the SID stuff on this much. I don't really work with SID at all. I guess I don't have that nostalgia for SID sounds as much as I do with the 2A03, DMG CPU, and TIA.

• Members

ahh, do you mean start/end or the phase/vshift maybe?

i didn't mean PWM on the SID, drum sounds are created on the C64 similar to how the tables work in LSDJ. it's basically a high-speed arpeggiator, but each step triggers a different waveform. really hard to tell without having my hands on it to see how it works.

just got done reading through the post on 8bc. seems some people aren't so happy with it overall, but really cool that the developer is on there and is looking to improve it. i think i might just give it a shot, even if i stick with QuadraSID for C64 sounds.

• Members

Ugh, the miscommunication here is killing me, so I'm going to stop trying to figure out exactly what you mean because I fear I'm looking like a moron.

Yeah, I mean, obviously, it's not going to be perfect. I think it's by far the best option one has for emulation of a lot of these chips, but I'm anxious for some updates.

• Members

Yeah. Messing around with those to extremes creates some real awesome stuff that I wish I could recreate in Chipsounds.

I should also mention that the 2A03 is amazing on this thing. I certainly saved time and money as far as that goes. It beats paying more and waiting a year for Midines.

• Members

haven't played with LSDJ in quite a while, just fired it up and am trying to figure out what you're talking about. not sure if i've used that feature much.

good to hear you're happy with the 2A03 though! never really saw the appeal of MIDInes, especially for the money. it's a pretty limited synth and a bit boring.

i grew up on the NES though, so i can understand the nostalgia factor there.

checking out your MySpace page now! if you're interested, i've got a few old tunes here you can check out:

http://www.myspace.com/isepic8bit

two LSDJ tracks and one that i did with Prophet64 (pretty basic stuff really).

Archived