Orange RV50 vs Laney GH50L

math2014

• Members

Hi all,

I am looking at those two amps (laney owner so...). I have played with the RV50 but i havent played with the GH50L hence my post here.

I am wondering about the following points in this comparison.

1. Build Quality (if you opened the hood and checked the pcb and components, dont tell me it looks like a tank)

2. Tone at LOW home volumes (I know the RV50 rips at low volume for home, in particular the 1/10 MV setting in the RV50 is what I call very low home volume).

3. Tone for : ACDC, Doors, Cream, Zeppelin, Sabbath, GnR, Who...

Obviously Laney is 700$ and Orange is 1500$ so i wonder were the extra 800$ go.

Yannis

• Members

Ive owned a GH50L and played through an Orange RV50 for like 20 mins.. All i can say is they are sooo ridiculously different amps that its weird to see them in a vs thread :) Can't really help you on this one. All i know is Laney is a pretty tough amp from what ive heard (ive never got it out of the house when i had it.) Tone is amazing to my ears in both low and above average volume (although it gets loud pretty quick) and Im pretty sure you can get the tones in number 3 with the laney.

But i know the RV is a pretty good amp also. Totally different to my ears. Character, tones. But still very good. From the bands you mentioned, I can say youre more likely to like the laney but im no expert of those bands. Laney is very Marshally sounding although much better imo. Let me put it this way. My favorite marshall is Laney GH50L :D

That is all.

• Members

Fair point bro.

i already have the LC30II and to give you an idea.

LC30 MV at 2.5/10 with Hotplate at -12db and gain at noon is my usual volume.

I need something able to go quieter than that. The Orange could do this without a hotplate, since i was actually playing with MV at 1/10 and still had awesome tone.

Archived