time for a new DAW, need help with specs...

Unfed

• Members

(well, the computer forum here is a bit slow and i like you guys so i'll post this here if that's ok...) :D

i've decided to finally sell my MachineDrum and go pretty much full-on with a PC-based setup for production. i just get so much more done in software and i'm happy with the results. my current laptop is a bit underpowered for what i'd like to do and am thinking about a desktop model. mainly due to cost i can't consider a Mac, so please don't try talking me into it. ;) right now it's a toss-up between building my own PC from the ground up, or ordering a custom model from a manufacturer. honestly, i'm leaning more towards the second option. i'm not completely sure the couple hundred that i *might* save is really worth the trouble, especially when the specs are pretty similar. while the self-built PC itself might be a bit cheaper, i'd still have to source the OS, keyboard/mouse, and a nice monitor which would bring the costs pretty close.

i've been looking around a bit and am pretty set on one of the new slimline HP desktops. i really like the form factor and i should be able to get one that (spec-wise) will last me for quite a while. i'm just not sure which way to go as far as the available options. of course i'd like it to be top of the line, but i'm not really sure that i *need* all the most expensive options.

here's a few things i'm wondering about:

- Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate? Ultimate has the XP mode, is this something that i won't want to pass up?

available Processors:

- Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q8300 [2.5GHz, 4MB L2, 1333MHz FSB] (Included in price)

- Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q8400 [2.66GHz, 4MB L2, 1333MHz FSB] +$40.00

- Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q9300 [2.5GHz, 6MB L2, 1333MHz FSB] +$100.00

- Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q9400 [2.66GHz, 6MB L2, 1333MHz FSB] +$150.00

- Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q9505 [2.83GHz, 12MB L2, 1333MHz FSB] +$200.00

should i definitely go for the best one? will i really notice an increase in performance?

available Hard Drives:

- 750GB, 1TB, 1.5TB? which would you go for? 750GB is included, 1.5TB is $100 more.

hell, here's a link to the configuration page if anyone wants to whip something up:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category/desktops/s5280t_series/3/computer_store?jumpid=in_r329_personalization/browse1/home_SDP

• Members

XP mode is virtual. My guess is that under *no* circumstances would you want to run a DAW under a virtual box. I'm honestly still leary of Windows 7 as a DAW OS at this point.

More CPU = more plugins that you can run without dropouts... up to you. You can get pretty far with a Quad 2 2.5 frankly...

Two hard drives is best... can you get that as an option?

• Members

Two hard drives is best... can you get that as an option?

good point on the 'virtual' XP mode, might just opt for W7 Pro. i'm sure W7 will be stable soon enough. can't be any worse than Vista, right? Vista is something i'm more worried about, from what i've heard of it (still using XP myself, which doesn't seem to be much of an option at this point).

i doubt that i could run dual drives with this. would running the audio end of it from an external USB or Firewire drive be an option or no? right now my laptop is running everything from a single 4200rpm drive with no problems (not that i ever run too many audio tracks at once), so i'm not sure if i should be too concerned about this or not. i really can't see myself ever running more than 20 tracks or so, and even that would be a lot for me.

• Members

I had a 2 X quad core 2.8 mac. I sold it and now run a duo 2.93 laptop.

I don't notice any difference really except for rendering times, now I'll have to wait 2 minuets instead or 40 seconds. Programs start up a little slower, like ableton takes 5 seconds to load a set, rather then .5 seconds.

But besides that I've noticed no problems once things are actually running,

For the most part I think the Quad cores are for graphics and video. You'd do fine with a duo laptop, or save a ton of money and get a duo desktop, unless you're going to be running 25 tracks with plugins on each one.

• Members

interesting, thanks for the comparison info! are you running intensive VSTs/fx though, or mainly audio tracks? what's your average CPU usage in Live for a typical project?

also, as for what i'm doing, it's generally pretty simple:

- Ableton Live, NI Reaktor, several other VSTs/fx

- Cool Edit Pro for audio recording/editing (if it'll even run under Win7)

- Nord Modular G2 Editor

- MOTU UltraLite

- can't really see myself ever running more than 20 tracks or so at once, including both audio and VSTs/fx

that's pretty much it as far i can think right now. no video work, gaming, internet, or anything like that. i've been using a single-core AMD 2.2gHz laptop for a few years now with no problems or complaints, i'd just like to have a bit more 'muscle' so that i can have more things running without topping out. even with my current machine i don't feel *too* constrained, but i'd like to get more going than i have been.

i'll also be holding onto my laptop for live use, but i would be running mainly audio tracks and VST fx in that case.

• Members

Unless you're into 'bragging rights', probably even the base system will more than meet your needs.

Some things to check though - does it have open slots for drives? I agree that 2 hard drives are a good idea.

Can you add more memory later?

What kind of inputs does it have (firewire, usb).

What kind of soundcard will you be using? Does it have to have a pci slot - most are pci-E now.

You'll only need lots of memory if you're planning on using large sample libraries (doubtful, right?), or doing really large projects.

Generally, the more you pay, the more you'll get. But unless you really go whole hog, you won't extend the useful life by all that much. And there's no sense to buying too much more than you'll ever use.

I'm not the best one to give computer advice :facepalm:, but from your posts here, I think you'd be happy with the performance of any of those systems.

• Members

I doubt that i could run dual drives with this. would running the audio end of it from an external USB or Firewire drive be an option or no? right now my laptop is running everything from a single 4200rpm drive with no problems (not that i ever run too many audio tracks at once), so i'm not sure if i should be too concerned about this or not. i really can't see myself ever running more than 20 tracks or so, and even that would be a lot for me.

USB drive, no. However, Firewire might be okay. I'd have to poke around and find out if anyone's done that.

You don't have to run dual drives, of course... it just helps prevent little glitches with lots of tracks (especially if you keep your OS and audio on separate buses, but that may not be possible in the laptop world). Some DAWs seem to glitch more than others, furthermore... I think Ableton's one of the better ones at not glitching.

Archived