Tech 21 Power Engine 60 - how bad is the bass response?

Acid Test

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey Acid Test,

I own a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 w/ the Celestion Seventy/80 speaker myself. You have the older version with the stock 2112A Eminence speaker. This is the speaker that is notorious for "farting out" when pushed at high volumes. My friend bought a used Tech 21 Trademark 60 with this same speaker and it exhibits the same problem. The best thing to do is to change out the stock 2112A speaker to another speaker with a higher wattage (60 watts or more). I contacted the Tech 21 factory a few months back and they sent me this e-mail:

Dear George,

Yes, a Celestion Seventy 80 can be fitted, but with a modification. The speaker basket of the Celestion is slightly larger than the 2112A, so the speaker cutout needs to be enlarged. We have accomplished that by simply beveling the edge at about 45 degrees. You can use a powered tool or a hand file.

If your friend wants to upgrade to something even better, he can try the original Celestion Century Neo (not the vintage voiced model). It is a very light and super efficient speaker, which will make the TM60 even louder. It is also much more expensive, but some people believe that it is woth it.

Best regards,

John Bednar, Technical Supervisor

I hope this helps you out, Acid Test.

Guitar George

• Members

Originally posted by Hamer95USA

Hey Acid Test,

This is the speaker that is notorious for "farting out" when pushed at high volumes.

Me too, I have read the same thing. Actually, I remember some Tech 21 rep saying that the 2112A speaker is better for clean, slightly overdriven bluesy stuff, while the Seventy/80 is better for the high gain, bassy metal stuff.

Archived