Orange, Zinky and Cornell, help me decide please

math2014

• Members

Hi all,

Ok after 2 months research online and offline i got some conclusions and some more questions.

What do i want?

1. 60-70s blues/hard rock in the vein of Zeppelin, ACDC, Sabbath, Cream, Doors, G.Thoroughgood etc.+ Slash

2. A master volume that provides the juices at low volumes for home low volume practice (like the Orange RV50 at 1.5/10). Also i need gig performance if needed in the future.

3. To interact well with a THD hotplate for provision of power tube distortion if needed.

4. Build quality and construction with not a lot of corner cutting on materials and build. The amp must survive air travel.

5. User serviceability. Easy to bias, easy to fix/replace broken parts (resistors, pots etc etc).

Now i have auditioned Orange, THD and Cornford, and so far the Orange Rockerverb 50 sits on my list as it has great tone at low volumes imho. However i am still looking at Zinky and Cornell because they could give me a good taste as well with better build quality possibly. Other amps that i am considering seriously as contenders (but i need to audition) are (including the orange)

1. Orange Rockerverb 50

2. Cornell Plexi DC45/55

3. Zinky Blue Velvet 50W

Orange: looks tidy inside with 2 main pcbs, chassis/pcb mounted tubes, unknown quality of components used, Demeter trannies. Also 4x6V6, they need to be biased, can use 1 pair of tubes and has tight/flabby sag setting.

The Zinky: Chassis/pcb mounted tubes, allegedly mil-spec construction, 2x6L6 that dont need biasing (cathode biased). Needs Sovtek 5881 to operate properly. Good US made trannies, unknown quality of other components. Bruce says that the amp is indestructible due to the amount of safety features (ohm mismatch, spikes etc)

The Cornell. PTP turret board, unknown quality of components. Non-MV. I hope that i can jumper channels and make it a Master volume amp. Or i hope that dennis can make it PPIMV or something. It drops to 12W if needed, and goes from SS to tube rectifier at will. Mil spec quality allegedly.

I attach 2 pics of the guts of the orange and the 25W zinky. Please comment based on your tech expertise. I am no tech guru yet, so JerryP and the rest of the crew chime in.

In conclusion, all 3 amps have a similarish price in the UK with the Cornell slightly more expensive. And... i want my $$$ to buy amp, and NOT marketing or hype. Finally please focus on these amps or anything obtainable in the UK at a similar price and dont tell me about other US made boutique amps.

63338489-L.jpg

rockerverb6.JPG

Archived