So that there U-220 got some really good choirs dontcha know...

astraeus000

• Members

Very nice sounding little module I must say......for the price....very nice...

the choirs are very very cool IMO...
:thu:

The choirs and fretless bass were my favorite sounds in the U-220 I had. I found some choirs that are pretty close in my 2080 w/ the session board and sold the U-220. I still miss the fretless bass. :cry:

• Members

The choirs and fretless bass were my favorite sounds in the U-220 I had. I found some choirs that are pretty close in my 2080 w/ the session board and sold the U-220. I still miss the fretless bass.
:cry:

Oh man, I remember that fretless bass very well [aftertouch!!]. Fantastic patch! Those choirs too:) Remember the Shaku?:love:

• Members

I just won a U-220 on auction, haven't actually received it yet. But yes, it has some nice, distinct sounds. As far as the choirs go, I particularly like "Syn Vox 2" (the "ooh"-ish sounding one).

Nice song there, Mediterranean! I definitely recognize the bass and synth lead sounds. Did you use the Latin & FX Percussion card for the congas?

• Members

Nice song there, Mediterranean! I definitely recognize the bass and synth lead sounds. Did you use the Latin & FX Percussion card for the congas?

Thanks a lot, Felineki. You're the first one who caught that. It's actually the only sound that didn't come from the Roland U-20.

It was this. Nice little gizmo:)

alesis-hr16.jpg

Notice the identical look with the MMT-8 [which I used to sequence the song in question]:

MMT8-top.gif

Congratulations on your new machine. I hope it will serve you well:thu:

• Members

Very nice sounding little module I must say......for the price....very nice...

the choirs are very very cool IMO...
:thu:

Yes sir, and it's called a Mellotron choir. Also available on Emulator E-II and JD-990 Vintage Expansion. I find the sound quality of U-20 simply fantastic. I couldn't believe it when i had one U-20 for service. Liked it so much i bought it. (sold it due to lack of space) Figured out it's the chorus + reverb combo in that box that colors the sound in a very pleasant way. The "primitive" converters probably help a lot for the further coloration. Incredible for a digital synth that can actually stand up in the mix. Only other synth i can think of is JD-990. Will get U-220 one of these days.

If you like U-220, you will like D-70 even more! It is exactly the same thing + resonant filter + additional Roland waveforms (that later became standard for the Super JV series) of which some are now legendary.

Archived