How many calories do you burn each day?

Josh Savoy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Josh Savoy

I don't do Tomatoes.

I've been consecutively losing weight, but I sleep 10 hours a day and am often tired. What you listed is like 800 calories tops.... is that healthy?

You can add in more chicken breast to kick it up. Chicken breast is always good.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Is losing weight going to accomplish that?

Oh yes. To many fatties in my family, just trying to make a lifestyle change.

Took me a long time to get the exercise every day, but I lost like 20 pounds there and now I wanna finish the job.

• Members

Oh yes. To many fatties in my family, just trying to make a lifestyle change.

Took me a long time to get the exercise every day, but I lost like 20 pounds there and now I wanna finish the job.

You really should exercise too but good for you for changing the diet and changing the fatty trend.

• Members

Originally posted by Electric Glide

You can add in more chicken breast to kick it up. Chicken breast is always good.

So basically... my BMR is 2100ish, and the amount of calories I should be taking in is somewhere around 3000, and you want me to eat 800? I'm thinking that is completely unhealthy and counterproductive as your body's metabolism slows when starving yourself.

Oh yeah... and to those guys that say 6 meals a day... I can't do that. Not logistical.

• Members

You really should exercise too but good for you for changing the diet and changing the fatty trend.

Thanks. My dad weighs over 300 at 5'10 and he's one of the small ones. I just broke 200 this week, and I'm 6'2. I have like no muscle whatsoever, and really have no desire to gain any.

• Members

Thanks. My dad weighs over 300 at 5'10 and he's one of the small ones. I just broke 200 this week, and I'm 6'2. I have like no muscle whatsoever, and really have no desire to gain any.

300 at 5'10" is pretty huge, but 200 at 6' 2" isn't bad. Do you look fat?

By the way, exercise doesn't necessarilly mean "pumping iron."

• Members

300 at 5'10" is pretty huge, but 200 at 6' 2" isn't bad. Do you look fat?

My legs look great, but I've got a pretty big gut and sloppy upper body. I dunno how that worked out. :(

200 at 6'2 is still overweight, especially considering my muscle mass is pathetic. I was at 220 though for quite a while, but instituting the exercise curbed that a bit. I'm sure if I didn't diet, eventually I'd lose the last of the weight, but it'd just take forever. I figured I'm in a brand new place, I wanted to look good as soon as possible. Healthily.

• Members

My legs look great, but I've got a pretty big gut and sloppy upper body. I dunno how that worked out.
:(

200 at 6'2 is still overweight, especially considering my muscle mass is pathetic. I was at 220 though for quite a while, but instituting the exercise curbed that a bit. I'm sure if I didn't diet, eventually I'd lose the last of the weight, but it'd just take forever. I figured I'm in a brand new place, I wanted to look good as soon as possible. Healthily.

The exercise will keep your insides healthy. You really should pickup at least a light cardio routine, if you want to add to the healthiness of the diet changes.

You must be really thin, muscle wise to have a gut at 6'2" and 200 lbs.

• Members

The exercise will keep your insides healthy. You really should pickup at least a light cardio routine, if you want to add to the healthiness of the diet changes.

You must be really thin, muscle wise to have a gut at 6'2" and 200 lbs.

I run 3 miles a day now. Should I add more? It's a half hour, plus 10min of light cardio as a warmup and cool down.

Seriously... I think that when I get all this extra chub off, I'll weigh like 160-170. :( At that point I may look into lifting weights to gain some more mass.

• Members

So basically... my BMR is 2100ish, and the amount of calories I should be taking in is somewhere around 3000, and you want me to eat 800? I'm thinking that is completely unhealthy and counterproductive as your body's metabolism slows when starving yourself.

Oh yeah... and to those guys that say 6 meals a day... I can't do that. Not logistical.

I'm not too confident in the on-line MBR calculators. Knowing you height, weight and age leaves insufficient conditions. It

• Members

200 at 6'2 is still overweight, especially considering my muscle mass is pathetic.

Not to be rude, but, by any physician's standards, that would be considered almost obese.

I'm about the same size, except I'm 230 pounds and I am considered obese.

• Members

Not to be rude, but, by any physician's standards, that would be considered almost obese.

I'm about the same size, except I'm 230 pounds and I am considred obese.

No, by physicians standards, 220+ at my height is obese. I am overweight, and only out of the zone by like .8. I've talked to my doctor and visited a nutritionist.

• Members

I'm about the same size, except I'm 230 pounds and I am considered obese.

Dude, that's a whole 30 pounds difference! :rolleyes:

• Members

I don't do Tomatoes.

I've been consecutively losing weight, but I sleep 10 hours a day and am often tired. What you listed is like 800 calories tops.... is that healthy?

No it isn't, even if you were able to keep it up, you'd likely go into ketoacidosis eventually. Like a diabetic that isn't getting enough insulin to process their calories, but you aren't getting enough calories by choice, not lack of insulin. Your body starts feeding on itself for the energy it needs.

It's the same thing that whacks the occasional low-carb dieter. Ketoacidosis->brain swells->dead.

• Members
Originally posted by BlackElk

No it isn't, even if you were able to keep it up, you'd likely go into ketoacidosis eventually. Like a diabetic that isn't getting enough insulin to process their calories, but you aren't getting enough calories by choice, not lack of insulin. Your body starts feeding on itself for the energy it needs.

It's the same thing that whacks the occasional low-carb dieter. Ketoacidosis->brain swells->dead.

Thats something to look forward to. :wave:

At my size and weight, I think I'm looking at consuming 2000 calories a day, but I'm not:(

• Members

If you're inactive, or if you run 3 miles a day?

I figured out that on average a fit person exercising at a reasonable rate (running cycling) burns between 500-700 calories per hour. So if you are running 3 miles at a reasonable rate (say 9 minutes per mile at least, others will vary), you'd burn ~ 250-350 calories over you basal metabolic rate (BMR). Your body burns much more calories just by being alive than from exercise unless you run marathons every day... Exercising also raises your BMR as well though, so you'll burn more than if you were sedentary...

A sedentary person burns ~ 13 X Weight = Avg. cal/day, so, if you are 150lbs, your BMR would be 1950 Avg. cal/day.

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by sah5150

I figured out that on average a fit person exercising at a reasonable rate (running cycling) burns between 500-700 calories per hour. So if you are running 3 miles at a reasonable rate (say 9 minutes per mile at least, others will vary), you'd burn ~ 250-350 calories over you basal metabolic rate (BMR). Your body burns much more calories just by being alive than from exercise unless you run marathons every day... Exercising also raises your BMR as well though, so you'll burn more than if you were sedentary...

A sedentary person burns ~ 13 X Weight = Avg. cal/day, so, if you are 150lbs, your BMR would be 1950 Avg. cal/day.

Steve

So should I just eat my BMR basically and keep exercising? Or at least keep it at 2000 calories a day?

Is it calories that matters the most when losing weight? Not fat, or carbs, or vitamin c or anything?

• Members

Originally posted by Woodshed

Eat around 1200 - 1400 calories a day to lose weight. Your body needs around 2000 a day to maintain.

That is not useful because the amount of calories you need varies based on you size, lean muscle mass, and how much you exercise. If I ate 1200-1400 calories a day, I would die quickly.

Steve

• Members

Pumping iron + cardio is a good way to get healthy / be in great shape . The more muscle you have , the higher your metabolism gets , and you burn more calories even while sleeping than before .

Oh , and yeah , height and weight ratio isn't a good way to determine if you're in shape or not . I'm 5'10" , 220 , and I'm not really fat...

Archived