Educate me on the JCM900 SL-X w/EL-34s

Neodysseus

• Members
Originally posted by Marshall Freak

Don't worry too much about Pigzin{censored}, He's suffering from a massive inferiority complex. If anyone says anything bad about the Dual reverb, or points out any of it's flaws he goes into spastic fits. It's really sad.

This is known as projection.

Dispelling FUD isn't going into spastic fits.

I have nothing to be insecure about. I can buy any amp I want.

My reasoning comes from being in a band with another guitarist with a SLX compared to my DR. He bought the SLX because he liked my amp, thinking it was a 900 etc it would sound the same.

It did not. He had the 6l6 version. It had more bass and high end, and less of that Marshall mid range.

So he got it converted to EL34s thinking it would then be like my DR.

While it DID give it more mids and a bit less high end, it still didn't have the mid-range "honk"

This also supports what I say.

Although voiced for metal and thrash, these amps are also sensitive and can be trimmed for tone. Back off on the gain and you can still have the blues. Combine the gains and you can rock all over the world. Crank it and you'll be thrashing all the way to the top!

They were VOICED that way.

The SLX has an overall darker sound.

Now that isn't a bad thing depending on what you want.

Although you can scoop the mids and get a decent tone if that's the tone you're after, but the SL-X is NOT a more "Scooped" amp than the DR, (Which he inadvertantly admitted; "Probably not the EL34 version. They will probably almost equal out there...." )

No, the EL34 version of the SLX still has more of a "METAL" sound than the DR.

The fact that he thinks his DR sounds best with the gain cranked, only means he has a tin ear. I own both Dual Reverb, and SL-X, I've played them back to back, he's full of {censored}.

Or it means you don't know what you are talking about. Or different amps sound different. You didn't read the article did you?

Why is it that every-time I've played clips of Dave's cranked 900 people say "I don't know how he gets that sound out of the 900"

When he isn't doing anything magical. People are just buying the FUD, then later get amazed that the FUD simply is that.

Like I stated earlier, JCM 900's, SL-X, and the Dual Reverb sound their best with the gain at medium levels, and if you need more gain, you're best off boosting them, they're Marshalls, and Marshalls have always loved pedals.

:)

If anyone wants to hear what a properly setup CRANKED non-boosted Dual Reverb sounds like and doesn't want to take this cork sniffer's word for it..

http://6767.sitestream.com/6767/6767.htm

2nd row, last image (link)

He NAILS Page's sound on Dazed.

And it sounds nothing like he is referring.

Archived