Volume changing in my 5150? Help!

The Broken Remain

• Members

So I turned on my 5150 for band practice about a week ago, and I usually have the volume somewhere around 3 whenever we practice. But whenever I turned it on, it was turned up the same, but it sounded like it was almost the entire way off. One thing I found out, that if I turn the volume knob from 0 to about 6 a few times, that it will return to normal volume for a very short amount of time, but then it {censored}s the bed again moments later.

Is this problem because of a needed tube change? Or are there other things it could be as well? I've never had to change the tubes in any of my heads before, so I'm sorta lost on this. Thanks for anyones help!

• Members

Sounds like a dirty pot. Probably just need to clean the pots and jacks. Or if you don't use your effects loop, the jacks can oxidize and you'll get an intermittent cutout. You can bridge the loop with a short cable like you use to connect pedals.
If the problem stops then, you need to clean those jacks. Spray them with contact cleaner and then plug and unplug a cable into the jacks several times. This frees up the little switches built into the loop jacks. Hope this helps...

• Members

Originally posted by lerxstcat

Sounds like a dirty pot. Probably just need to clean the pots and jacks. Or if you don't use your effects loop, the jacks can oxidize and you'll get an intermittent cutout. You can bridge the loop with a short cable like you use to connect pedals.

If the problem stops then, you need to clean those jacks. Spray them with contact cleaner and then plug and unplug a cable into the jacks several times. This frees up the little switches built into the loop jacks. Hope this helps...

+1

Jerry

Archived