Has anyone compared a Hellatone 60, 60L and V30 from Avatar?

atbear

• Members

I'm gonna buy an Ear Candy BuzzBomb 212 and I'll likely drop some Hellatones in there since I love V30s.

The Hellatone 60 is just a Vintage 30 that's broken in for 15 hours by Avatar.

The Hellatone 60L is the same thing, but it's a special V30, only available to certain manufacturers, with a little more low bass, and smoothed out mids.

Has anybody compared the Hellatone 60 to the 60L, and the Hellatones to a normal V30?

Thanks!

Drew

• Members

Originally posted by tubedude

There is no sonic difference between the V30 and Helltone 60 except out of the box. The helltone sounds so much better than a new V30. The Hellatone 60 is my favorite speaker.

+1 I just got a Hellatone 60 for a 1x12 box. IMO the perfect classic rock/blues speaker and better sounding than a stock V30. Not sure what Avatar does to "age" them, but it works.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Bump from the past...

Now, instead of an Ear Candy 212, I'm gonna load them in my new Carvin V3 4x12.

I'd really like to know the differences between the Hellatone 60 and 60L.

Does anybody know what speaker the 60L starts out as? Has anybody peeled their sticker (and if not, will you do it and report back, please)?

Thanks for any help!

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

V30 with a Hellatone label over it.

100% true.

The Hellatone 60L starts out as a special Vintage 30 that is only made for Special Manufacturers using Vintage 30s. This Special Vintage 30 has a little more low bass and a slightly different voice coil and center dust cap than the standard vintage 30. We are privileged to get these from Celestion so the L stands for two things...Limited Quantities and Lower bass response. We then convert it into a Hellatone by aging it slightly and by exercising the suspension for 15 hours so when you get it, it has a warmer tone on the very first note. These two aging processes warm up the low end and smooth out the midrange slightly. The Hellatone model 60L really projects and is great for all kinds of music..especially Rock and Metal! Large Heavy 50 oz magnet 60 watts 16 ohm. ONLY

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Seems like if he said it was not a V30 he'd say what it was!

(Email today said it was a lower bass V-30 and you can see the larger magnet)

No, he wouldn't say. Said he couldn't say what it was. That's why I started this thread.

I know it's a lower bass V30 (lower bass frequencies). I started this thread to find out exactly what it was. It doesn't say V30 under the Hellatone sticker.

• Members

Muh Amp

Picture018.jpg

I can't really tell you the differences between this and a V30, I have a regular V30 in my other amp... but the differences in the amp, watts, and the fact that is a 212 with a different kind of speaker make it so that I can't tell you what the difference is.

I CAN tell you that whereas my g12h30 has a sticker underneath the Hellatone sticker, the 60L doesn't. BUT the 60L has a sticker on the side of the dust cap that identifies it as a Celestion Vintage 30... There is no big sticker on top of the dust cap, just a small rectangle one on the side, the g12h30 has this too... all celestions do.

My amp sounded awesome the moment I got it, there has never been a hint of ice pickiness, and it cuts like a knife. The builder even said he was probably going to start using the Hellatones as his included speakers.

• Members

Originally posted by Mistersuperfly

Muh Amp

Picture018.jpg

I can't really tell you the differences between this and a V30, I have a regular V30 in my other amp... but the differences in the amp, watts, and the fact that is a 212 with a different kind of speaker make it so that I can't tell you what the difference is.

I CAN tell you that whereas my g12h30 has a sticker underneath the Hellatone sticker, the 60L doesn't. BUT the 60L has a sticker on the side of the dust cap that identifies it as a Celestion Vintage 30... There is no big sticker on top of the dust cap, just a small rectangle one on the side, the g12h30 has this too... all celestions do.

My amp sounded awesome the moment I got it, there has never been a hint of ice pickiness, and it cuts like a knife. The builder even said he was probably going to start using the Hellatones as his included speakers.

Thanks, man! How you liking that bad boy?

• Members

Originally posted by atbear

Thanks, man! How you liking that bad boy?

Can't imagine a better amp for me, which is great... because I had never heard one, and no one on this forum has one (as far as I know). Soooo... I just ordered off of a gut feeling, and it is everything I could have ever wanted (at a great price! ~1250$ w/ speakers!).

Archived