Amp head shipping experience?

Reaxis

• Members

Hey everyone- im considering the dsl100 deluxe mod by voodoo... Im seekin some experienced shippers out there give me a price estimate for shipping...

how much do you think it would cost to ship one way from MA->NY... including packaging (double boxing?) I know Ill be doubling this for the shipping on the way back too.

If you have done something like this before- let me know how much this shipping thing can add up to be.. just tryin to save up...thanks so much!

jimmy

• Members

Originally posted by Songman68

Save yourself some money and ship it FedEx Ground or DHL. Do not mess around with UPS they are to high and find every way they can to not pay a claim.

+1

Also, get your own boxes from local music stores or any other place you can find them. The shipping companies will rape you on those.

• Members

Originally posted by Reaxis

Hey everyone- im considering the dsl100 deluxe mod by voodoo... Im seekin some experienced shippers out there give me a price estimate for shipping...

how much do you think it would cost to ship one way from MA->NY... including packaging (double boxing?) I know Ill be doubling this for the shipping on the way back too.

If you have done something like this before- let me know how much this shipping thing can add up to be.. just tryin to save up...thanks so much!

jimmy

If you have your own box and pack the amp up yourself, it will be around $25-35 each way. I shipped JerryP my 5150 in NY, from PA, and it was $29.

• Members

Originally posted by Reaxis

jimmy

Hey Jimmy,

Get the boxes either from a guitar store or Uhaul. You will want to double box the amp for sure. When I sent my 800 to Voodoo, it was about $30 shipped using Fedex (go to the drop-off in Medford).

Return shipping from Voodoo is quite expensive (I think it ran me close to $100) since they have UPS do the packaging for them. Plus the box was ENORMOUS.

D

• Members

Save yourself some money and ship it FedEx Ground or DHL. Do not mess around with UPS they are to high and find every way they can to not pay a claim.

Based on our experience here on our end;

Actually the opposite has been true with amps being shipping in via FedEx Ground. FedEx Ground goes through Roadway and 7 out of 10 amps shipped in via FexEd Ground arrive damaged. It's also been more difficult to get a damage claim processed and finalized with FedEx Ground. UPS has been *far* better in all respects (more than I can possibly tell you). Over all the key is to make sure it's double boxed properly.

DHL is still new as far as delivering amps and thus far it's too early to tell what their track record will be but all the amps delivered via DHL have arrived without damage.

I hope it helps

Trace

• Members

Return shipping from Voodoo is quite expensive (I think it ran me close to $100) since they have UPS do the packaging for them. Plus the box was ENORMOUS.

The amps are double boxed to our specs. It's a flat $22.00 to have the amp packed like a tank (this is covered on our website). The shipping is more as the physical size of the box tends to be bigger when it goes out verses when it arrives (that affects the shipping cost) and we also insure most amps for more than customers do when they ship the amps back us (this also affects the price).

Hope it helps

Trace

• Members

When I ship heads to that area they run about $30 having UPS pick it up here and having them insured for $1200.00. I've never used a UPS Store to pack an amp, but when I talked to them about it I was quoted $12 to pack the amp. The UPS Stores don't always do a good job packing, it depends on the store.
Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps

Based on our experience here on our end;

Actually the opposite has been true with amps being shipping in via FedEx Ground. FedEx Ground goes through Roadway and 7 out of 10 amps shipped in via FexEd Ground arrive damaged. It's also been more difficult to get a damage claim processed and finalized with FedEx Ground. UPS has been *far* better in all respects (more than I can possibly tell you). Over all the key is to make sure it's double boxed properly.

DHL is still new as far as delivering amps and thus far it's too early to tell what their track record will be but all the amps delivered via DHL have arrived without damage.

I hope it helps

Trace

I had very good luck with FedEx for a couple years and then all of a sudden I had a couple problems. I had some transformers I shipped to someone lost. The paid the claim within a week and it was during the Christmas season which I thought was pretty good. I find that FedEx in rural areas has very poor service. I had an amp delivered to a customer at midnight once by a guy driving his own car, not a FedEx truck!

Jerry

• Members

wow- you guys are very very helpful.

thank you very much!!

from my experience packing at stores- they were very hesitant to let me bring the materials to ship.. like.. the packing peanuts and boxes.. especially when shipping bigger items.. fragile items.. like equipment.

All your quotes were far less than i was expecting.. i shipped out cases and a combo amp before- and it was.. actually very expensive. i wonder where the increase in price went.

• Members

UPS = Your Package Smashed.

We ship over 350-400 amps a year and I can honestly say that no matter what carrier you use an amp will end up damaged unless it's packed properly/double boxed.

here's what can happen if you don't box correctly..

We've seen the same thing (broken head box) many times and it's always sad to see that when you open the box. Amps that are double boxed and packed properly arrive safe-n-sound 98% of the time.

For what it's worth

Trace

• Members

Few things I do when shipping amps:

pull the tubes. wrap them in bubble wrap and then put the bubble wrapped tubes inside the headshell. Wrap the headshell with bubblewrap. Put this in a box - and make sure the amp is SNUG in the box where it can't move around.

Find a bigger box to put that box in, and I use crushed newspaper or packing peanuts in trash bags. Why trash bags? It tends to keep them from settling as bad and it's not as big a mess to open up. I put one trash bag with lots of packing material on the top and bottom of the box, so the first box is cradled by it. Be sure the box is held firmly and can't move either.

I try to package everything I send so if it gets dropped 5' on concrete it will survive. All the shipping carriers are going to toss and generally beat the hell out of your amp/guitar/whatever being shipped. Their concern is getting it moved on, not being gentle. An extra 10 minutes packing is a hell of a lot better than hours on the phone with fed ex/ups/whoever arguing about insurance claims.

Pete

• Members

I have a heavy duty flight case for my head.. pretty heavy- makes the package a little bigger.

should i send it in this case, and double box this thing too? or should i just use one box with alot of packing material?

Im thinking now that sending it in a flight case is the way to go.

of course.. 98% of the time, if you double boxed correctly without a case..

thanks everyone for your input!

Archived